The Big Question...F&B or Merch?

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by *minnie**mouse*, Nov 19, 2006.

1. AshleyDawn

AshleyDawn New Member

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure what an Attraction role is. I mean, the rides and movies and things would be considered Operations, would they not? And a fellah Canadian was just accepted into Operations. So maybe Attractions is like... me doing summersaults and backflips for people or something :p

2. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

i think attractions is a role within operations... like operations could be park greeter, parking, attractions etc

so attractions is operating the rides and stuff

3. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

hehe if u really like dolly u have to go to DOLLYWOOD DUDE! seriously its in tennessee about an hours drive outside of nashville

4. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

Reckon Dollywood has a Cult Rep programme too? :D

5. I would love to go to dollywood! it must be the best place on earth!!! will have to find some way of going when im over there next year!

6. pinkspideruk

dolly doesnt live there tho alas! its got tonnes of shows and performers doing her music and other country stuff although i was thinking they could make a dolly coaster with 2 big loop de loops hehe

7. oh my god that would be amazing they could call it Dolly's Double Dangers! she's the wildest ride in the wildnerness!!

8. pinkspideruk

roflmao!!!!

maybe you shuld write and tell them it could be a huge money making idea for them!!!!

9. gemmalou

gemmalou New Member

as much as i hate to admit it, as a merchie (sort of) but if you go food and bev your life here will be a lot easier, purelly because its easier to get to know more people, and get more people to know you. Merchies have to make much more of an effort to fit into a pavillion if they want to know people outside of merch. It sucks but its true, people say F&B is more work- whcih it probably is as a server, but to be honest, on the money they rake in they should have to work hard!!

But if you are more of a quiet person, and youd rather have the quiet life with a few good friends then merch is for you. It depends what you want from your year, and where you work will have a big impact!

Hugs
    Gem
    x0x

10. disney_hopper

disney_hopper New Member

F&B FO LIFE!

11. OttawaChikky

OttawaChikky New Member

As a server you do work hard....your also under alot of stress compared to Merch/Attractions, your continuously lookign over your shoulder as one wrong move or mistake and the managers threten to term you/and they have followed through. We run our asses of all day long as a server...when i was there we wouldbe working mid's(allday)3 - 4 times a week because of call ins or understaffing. As well as around the hollidays or really busy times of the year you get put on 6 day manditory over time, and stay on it for up to 2 months. you get worn out.

Im a little sick of merch/attractions saying we make too much money that we dont deserve or that we should be working harder/and they dont make enough(all i saw of merch attractions is them having fun playing with guests or on tasking - ie having a break- i would always see them sitting around in the back doing nothing for hours a day).....as servers when we went out with merch and attractions we would pay their way for the cab, buy drinks to share the wealth...after awhile however they expected us to cover everything, and not bother to bring money.

I worked in f&b and recomend it for anyone comming down to disney. Especially canadian's, Le Cellier is the top resaurant in WDW and it's booked 3 months in advance for reservations all year long....rarely are walkings taken. at le cellier i rarely came home with less than $200 USD a night in tips after tip out. saved up almost $20,000 US while i was there, and using the money to travel the next few months in Europe. On top of that i traveled to the beach on most of may days off, bought a nice new wardrobe from the outlets (BCBG is my fave store there) Went to Las Vegas for my Birthday with 6 of my close friends from the program and partied it up like we were rockstars for 5 days.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE ALL THE WAY, THE STRESS IS WORTH THE REWARDS

12. OttawaChikky

OttawaChikky New Member

The Attraction for Canada is a movie , you introduce the movie to guests and play the movie and do kid cot with the kids.

13. Kerry J

Kerry J Guest

wow - really??? that seems like a lot of cash!!! does everyone just keep there own tips or do you pool them all and then divide them out equally??? Im UK F&B - heading over in April and i have to admit that i am a little worried about not having much money in the first few weeks/months - how much would you recomend taking??? Hopefully il be able to take aroud $1,000 - will this be enough do you think?? (this is only about 600/700 UK pounds)
    xx

14. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

i think as a server u keep ur own tips, as u are assigned to certain tables....not entirely sure tho, but sum1 will be able to answer that!

kerry i think u will be fine with that amount of money... i took about 600 quid last time....and it lasted me a while... i didnt cash like my first 3 pay cheques for ages... and im a real idiot with money, i waste money on crap like taxis and stuff...

i never took lunch to work so i spent money on that every day, but if u were short of cash u could take a packed lunch which would be much cheaper, i kno some ppl do that, i was just too lazy to make one.

and of course, if u start learning ur menus etc u will be able to get into service quickly hopefully :)

15. jenmacp

jenmacp New Member

I believe Le Cellier ran a bit more expensive than the Rose & Crown so our tips tended to be higher because most customers are on a dining plan that automatically tips you 18% of the total bill. However, you guys apparently sold ridiculous amounts of alcohol so perhaps that makes up for it a bit!

In Disney-owned restaurants each server is assigned a section of 3 - 5 tables. You share your tips with the foodrunners and bartender, but you do keep most of it. Some of the non-Disney restaurants (Alfredos, Chef de Frances) require the servers tip out bussers as well.

$1000USD should do you fine to get you through your first while :) It can be a bit hard controlling yourself at first, but sometimes you just need to remember the mall will still be there next week by the time your next paycheque comes!

~ Jen

16. jessewm66

jessewm66 New Member

Is there any age limit you must be to be a Server? I know it is probably 21 but hoping it is less :)!

17. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

not to be a server...not sure about the bar tho.

18. jessewm66

jessewm66 New Member

Thanks!

19. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

wow. i cannot believe you can get that much in tips.

*sings...we're in the money..*

20. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Considering people all over the rest of Epcot can serve Alcohol at the age of 18, I'd assume the bar is the same.