Summer ICP 2010

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by merfsko, May 6, 2009.

1. water_boy

water_boy New Member

Hi elliot
    I think having the awards and traaining before you apply/ work there will help you a lot. Your club swimming or whatever it is should make you stand out, because your fitness level will be sky high.

They train every lifeguard for 3 days (some US certified lifeguard course) and then assign you to resort pools, water parks and i think the hire boats on the lake. All this depends on how you performed in the 3days. I managed to find myself a lifeguard course at my local pool, but thats going to cost me £220 :mad: . I have also found a summer lifeguarding job which will be great.

So my advice to you is that it will help a lot to have the training beforehand, if you really want to do lifeguarding as your role. If you don't then you may end up working elsewhere and may regret not getting the training. Hope that helps?

Wooo Yeeahhh! go lifeguards! ;D
    Chatham does seem a little bit more relaxed, plus it is fairly modern, so I'd vote for it!

Anyone else got an AS resit starting in 3 hours? :-\

2. elliot23

elliot23 New Member

yeah that helped, thanks
    does ur placement get decided on how well u perform?like the better you are the more chance u hav of being at a wp rather than a resort?
    an i wont have time to do a course before i apply which is worrying me as i'm away more or less all summer with my music group :-\
    and i'm guessing ur in year 13 like me if ur doin an AS resit?

3. water_boy

water_boy New Member

Ah cool where you touring? ???
    For the training; I think it will boil down to whether your a strong swimmer or not, and can perform all the saving methods in deep water safely and correctly. Stronger swimmers will be placed in the water parks, and those who aren't so strong, in the resort pools.
    Yup I'm U6, got my first A2 paper on fri, another week later and thats it! partytime! :D How are yours going?

4. leomgray

leomgray New Member

hey, age has nothing to do with it. i am 18 the now and i got accepted, i have just finished first year and i will be turning 19 whilst i am out.

In the lifeguard role you are trained when you get there, you go through a test so as they can see your ability. But you are most likely to have already been placed by the time you get there, but im sure it could possibly change.

All the best for applying guys.

I may applk again next year, but i dont know, i will return if i really enjoy sometime.

5. water_boy

water_boy New Member

Hey
    Are you a WDW lifeguard this summer? how do they know how good a lifeguard you are if they haven't seen you in action? (how do they place you when they haven't seen you?)
    Its going to be good stuff, having a birthday over there! I'll be having my 19th in Florida in 2010...if i get accepted! Have you planned anything yet for yours?

6. elliot23

elliot23 New Member

hey thanks for that much appreciated :D

an i'm going to prague and then to germany water boy,went to china last year so this year its not as expensive luckily lol

the exams are doin my head in atm tho!had 4 today and still got 5 left :'(
    what subjects u doin? what u wana do in uni?

7. annie22

annie22 New Member

Hey people!
    I'm new to this site and I find it really helpful.
    I'm from Mexico and I'm hoping to get the chance to work on Disney for the summer. Does anyone know when we should start sending our application? If anyone has some information about the way things are handled in Mexico respecting the disney programs, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Annie

8. water_boy

water_boy New Member

Hi annie
    I think it might be too late to apply for this summer...but I'd go through www.yummyjobs.com I know from there that Canadian applicants can start sending their applications out in July and UK applicants out in September, this is for the 2010 summer. Its likely that Disney will first have a phone interview with you at first and then if you're successful (which we all hope we are!!!) then you will then have a face to face one later.

9. annie22

annie22 New Member

Thanks waterboy! I'm so excited to go to this program. I know that this year my college did have a conecction with disney, I'm hoping they have one too on 2010.
    Did you apply for the summer of 2009? Or is this the first time you are going to apply?

10. water_boy

water_boy New Member

Its alright. Yep I think we're all full of excitment! :p Good stuff. If I were you I'd find out from your college on how to apply and stuff, seeing that they have contacts through WDW.
    I'm going to apply in September for Summer 2010, a long wait :(
    What job role have you thought of doing?

11. jdavies

jdavies New Member

Hey guys. Just registered on this site because i really want to work in WDW next summer.
    Ive been on the WDW international programme website and it sounds awsome!
    I was just wondering on what the best job is. I like the sound of the hopper job.
    I love doing a bit of everything ;D
    Is it best to speak another language if i am going to apply? :D

12. elliot23

elliot23 New Member

hey jd :)
    i think from what i've heard an read the best jobs pay wise is lifeguarding or kitchen work
    but the best job for fun is meant to be merchandising (anyone corrrect me if am wrong lol)

whats this hopper job tho?never heard of that?
    and i think the language thing will help alot

13. leomgray

leomgray New Member

No im not a lifeguard, i just know some of them, and when you apply it tells you on the form the process for being a lifeguard, what you need to do in the test, it does not seem to difficult to be fair. I dont know about the placing, but with all the other roles you have already been placed in an area before you get there, not a location, just a set area. I dont know much about lifeguard though.

I will be hopefulyl celebrating it with my friend charlotte, she is celebrating her 21st out there, so we will have a big group gathering for something, maybe a nice meal somewhere, one of the resorts maybe, we shall see!

14. annie22

annie22 New Member

Waterboy, I would love to be on attractions or characters! I understand that being under the sun must be horrible but I would love to interact with people, and seeing their faces when they get on a ride or see their favorite character.

You?

15. water_boy

water_boy New Member

That sounds cool, which character would you be? or would you be a character's assistant? If I somehow ended up working as a character, I wouldn't be that fussed which costume I had to wear, but I'd have to go with pluto if I had to make a decision.
    I wouldn't mind at all working outside! I would actually prefer working outdoors than in, so thats why lifeguarding is for me :).

16. leomgray

leomgray New Member

There are quite a few roles you could end up workin outside.

What character you become depends on your height, like if you are 6ft then you cannot become Mickey, hehe.

17. annie22

annie22 New Member

I would like to be any character!!!...I'm not tall but I'm not short...I'm pretty much avearge, so I think I can fit in most characters.
    I should've guessed you were going for lifeguard when you are named waterboy hehe.
    That's so cool, you get to work outside and get wet once in a while. That sounds like an awesome job...

18. disneydreamer

disneydreamer New Member

when i did the icp last summer they took the hopper job out of out options...

19. jdavies

jdavies New Member

I know sucks dont it!
    they still let people from austrailia and new zeland :-\
    why cant i live in austrailia. the hopper job looks awesome!
    i love doing a bit of everything aswell :-[
    I want to start learning some new languages now over the summer as i finished college and dont start uni until end of spetember. Whats the best languages to learn guys. Im thinking Spanish and French. What you rekon??? ;D

20. elliot23

elliot23 New Member

i reckon u'd be best learnin spanish...
    its like a second langauge in florida cos thers a big hispanic community
    but ye french would also be good cos most canadians speak it :)