ICP 09 - Roles

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by opherrichards, Nov 3, 2008.

1. KC

KC New Member

The problem with Frontierland PAC is that there's no PACtivities, or at least, none of the times I've ever been at MK... Or, if there is, it's not particularly inventive or exciting... As well as that, it seems like they don't watch their crosswalks as well as they should and it's frequently a few minutes before a CM comes and moves people out of them. Just my opinion, of course!

Overall, though, it must be said that this is not likely a CM problem. A friend of mine worked at Splash this summer and she said that the whole reason why there was rarely PACtivities is because FL management never ask CMs to do it. So when someone suggests it, it's not met with much enthusiasm. Whereas management in areas like AdLib and Main St. repeat every night that they wanted people to get ropes set up and then, it was PACtivities, PACtivities, PACtivities! So, it's not really a case of poor performance, more poor leadership, I suppose!

2. John

John New Member

At the interviews, how much of a say do the interviewers have in your placement. Say you choose attractions as your #1, can they pass on such requests as MK or attractions west? Thanks

3. leomgray

leomgray New Member

You could, but its quite hard to get those types of things in, well i found it hard to. But i was just concentrating on making a good impression. Im sure there is no harm in saying it, they do tell you to say if you want something really badly to say, haha. I was too scared to, heeh.

4. KC

KC New Member

Good question! It seems to be somewhat dependent on the interviewer and what you're asking for... I know people who pleaded for a certain place and got it, and other that did the same and were placed in positions they really didn't want! So, it seems to be luck of the draw really.

5. vik

vik New Member

where you get placed is pretty random, im not sure its even down to the person who inteviews you, because availibilty at the time can change between say november this year and may/june 09.
    i dont know anyone who asked for a specific place and got it, though i do know someone who spent her entire interview talking about how she had always wanted to work in attractions and then she ended up in food and bev cos of her cv experience so its really just a bit of a lottery!

6. Alex88

Alex88 Member

So if you end up at for example an attractions position and when you get there the attraction you get is absolutely not what you like (like observing a kids playground or something), any possibilities except going back home?

7. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I think attractions all depends on how you do in traditions!

8. vik

vik New Member

unfortunateley not. if you dont like your job, it is VERY unlikeley that you will be moved as you have to take into account that there are thousands of people working there doing the same as you.
    In costuming , you can be moved, but thats cos its all the same training and youre backstage and i think this can occasionally be the case for a few other entertainment based things but def not merch or attractions (unless you have some medical reason for not working in that particular place) funny story actually my friend knew someone who had a tremendous fear of birds and was put in flights of wonder at AK. He managed to get moved to space mountain, but that was the 6 month grad program, the way they see it is we're there 2 and a bit months, we should suck it in and do what we're given

and leom, you get placed before you do traditions, at traditions they just talk at you about the company for 4 hours

9. leomgray

leomgray New Member

sorry vik, how is it they decide where youre put?

I only have a fear of the sea, so as long as i wasnt put on the cruise liner i would be fine. haha

10. vik

vik New Member

im not entirely sure, but i know that it can have virtually no bearing on what you say in the interview because there might not be any spaces in say "big thunder mountain" when you get out there (tho usually there are for that particular ride :))

i said about wanting to work on the beauty and the beast show in my interview and i ended up in mk day parade which was fine, but like i say, not what i requested!

someone once told me that your actual work location is only decided like a week before you go out there, just down to what is available but i dont know how true that is (wouldnt be surprised tho, disney aint half as organised as you'd think!)

so basically you have to just deal with what you get, even if the first few weeks suck, i guarantee, you'll love it after a while and you'll miss it once you're home!

11. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

It's anyone's guess how they place people lol. It's anyone's guess how anything happens around there. Try scheduling - now that really is a mystery, especially if you come to entertainment leom.

I know someone who got put exactly where they wanted - at toy story midway mania - but that was because he kept in touch and in very good relations with his previous managers and they got it sorted for him.

You mean actual DCL? Haha if we could do DCL on ICP that would be awesome - you could extend! Afraid DCL only dole out 'real' jobs!

12. Freckles

Freckles Guest

Roger told me in training we will be told what we get as they will look to see how we react to different things. as no roles can be decided until we get tehre as they have no clue what will be needed. i managed to get my piece in about the speil but not that i took on a tour group for an installation. bit gutted but im hoping he got the idea and can pass it on!

13. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

Hm well you find out on your first day your area eg... icon attractions.. sunset blvd... attractions west... main st east... tomorrowland...
    So that much at least is decided before they can see ' how you react to things'.

To be honest, Roger was not particularly well clued up at all on entertainment and certain aspects of the icp in general so I'm not saying he's wrong, but I wouldn't take everything he said as gospel

14. leomgray

leomgray New Member

haha, i would love magic kingdom but it would just depend if i get in and where they want to put me, heeh.

15. ginabella

ginabella New Member

So....what do they tell you in the email you receive?! whether you've got in or not and what role you are? but not where your placed :-\

16. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

Yep it's a mystery until the day after you arrive! Except for me it just said,
    Entertainment. Mouse
    Hehe

17. ginabella

ginabella New Member

luuucky for some ;)
    what dates do you wanna go, love!?

18. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

I want to go June 2nd but i have to do june 21st - college doesn't finish til july 6th! My exams finish on the 16th I think

19. Freckles

Freckles Guest

thats cool. thanks for the warning, i will keep that in mind.

i really wanna hear...im starting to overthink what i did..whether it was right or not.

20. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

The impression that I got was that the interviewers (Rodger and Michelle) can suggest an area for you to be put in, but they cant give you a specific thing (like a ride) so, for example, you could be placed in MK at AD/Lib attractions by the interviewers, but it will be decided when you get there which attraction you will get depending on which one needs people eg Jungle Cruise or Aladdins Magic Carpets.

Its true that the email come through with the job type that you have been offered, but not the specifics like area ect.

Tip - When you get there, you spend a couple of hours one day walking round Vista sorting out several pieces of paper work. At one of those stations (Health Services I think) the have a list with your name on it. Try to have a good look at that list as it mentions what you are going to do and where you will be placed. I knew I was going to do Lifeguarding but not where. Beside my name on the sheet was Y&B Rec. Which was basically where I was placed. Or you can just wait, but the walk around Vista usually occures before you get told officially where you are going.