Characters

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by *PennyCrayon*, Sep 11, 2008.

1. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I am sure it would be different from working in a clothes store, ive worked in one for over two year now and i feel that would make them see me really being great for merchandise and i would love it, there is no problem, but i would quite like to try and see what my other options would be, like for operations and character!

2. cowza

cowza New Member

If you want to do something different anijac just don't put merchandise as one of your choices ;)

I think character attendant is the only role where you park hop other than the position 'park hopper' or 'role hopper'... can't remember the exact name?

There is a lot of confusion about this role... when you read it, it makes it sound like you could be doing anything, anywhere at any point. If you are a 'park hopper' you work in two different roles. 70% of the time it is merchandise & quick service food & beverage. It alternates days or by week... can't remember which but both of your positions would be in the same park I think.

You'd basically get two work locations for each role and you'll be in the same place throughout... you won't like work in random merchandise/food locations anywhere in the resort haha.

Remember you'll be able to pick up shifts also. You might not feel as brave about doing that if you are only there for three months but it is an option. I worked in magic kingdom quite a lot and did a few random things including being a 'screaming fan'. That was hilarious haha.

Merchandise is probably the easiest to pick up shifts just because with your matra and merchaintainment training you are qualified to work in any store. It's more difficult to find stuff in the summer though. A lot of seasonal cast members lurk about the hub picking up all the shifts.

3. leomgray

leomgray New Member

That is what i liked about merch, you can get shifts easier than most roles in other places.
    btw what is the hub?

I would quite like to be a "hopper" but i dont want to do F&B!

4. vik

vik New Member

the hub is a sort of website/database where you get your schedule, view your record card, find out about cast member activities, disney news and generally find out disney stuff! its something that every cast member uses and you can access it from your own computer or from the special hub machines that are located all over backstage disney (though obviously you have to sign in and therefore be a cast member!)

5. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

Hey can anyone help me? I have a question about the ftf interview:

If we get one is it scheduled for a certain day or is it like the phone interview and we can decide when we want it? Also is it at the weekend as this would be easier for me than during the week?

6. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Yeh i was wondering about that, if it is at the weekend then it should be fine for me as long as it is somewhere nearby, but if its through the week then it could cause hastle. But either way if i got asked to go i would be going, no stopping me!

7. vik

vik New Member

they do interviews at hammermith in london, manchester, glasgow and birmingham *i think*. they only gave me one option for an interview last year but if you really cant make it then depending on when the others are, they might let you go to a different one. mine was on a friday and im not sure if they do weekend ones, but im sure we'll all know whats going on come this time next week, fingers crossed!

8. mint

mint New Member

the Park Hopper role sounds pretty interesting, and I like that you get to try both F&B and merch :) but good point there, i guess f&b/merch would be the easiest in terms of picking up extra shifts. not that i'm actually working for money there (haha) but it'll be nice to have some extra cash to buy random disney stuff and travel a bit!

9. Freckles

Freckles Guest

ive heard you can get interview in liverpool.

friday would be fantastic as i only have a seminar to miss and my mates will catch me up, and it means i can go back to peterborough or abingdon for the weekend. thats the only day i can really do. a weekend would be a lot better.

im defo thinking great movie ride. as long as i dont get its a small world i should be fine! i wouldnt mind merch but i really wanna do this for my future career.

hmm when i get back to peterborough i might see if there are job opportunities in the disney store.

10. ginabella

ginabella New Member

oooo i think they are looking at disney stores because i was walking past the one in cheltenham (where im at uni) and they had like xmasy 'cast member' opportunities!!
    i was really tempted but im working xmas day, new years eve, new years day this year, as well as my normal shifts, at my waitressing job! so me being up here is almost impossible this xmas

11. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

haha yeah see I loved working at the Disney Store, it was a LOT of fun to create a bit of Disney magic so far away from Disney World! The only think I did not like though was that you really are pushed to SELL things. And really, I am not that great at trying to make people buy things. It just isn't me! Probably because I get annoyed when retailers do it to me :p I just want the customers to have fun and find something special to buy. Not try to convince them to make a big purchase. And trust me on this one, at least I know this for sure from the Canada locations, the Disney Store WILL push you to your limits to try to get everyone to buy at least one thing.

So it was then I realized retail (if taken with respects to what I had to do) is not really for me :p

12. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I am pressured into selling but i do it well i think, the majority of customers i help buy but i am working in a clothes shop, not the disney store.
    I hope they do have ones in glasgow, im in glasgow everyday during the week so i would be happy if it was on a monday tuesday or wednesday.

13. cowza

cowza New Member

Interviews usually have set dates... they usually do two days though so you can go to one or the other.

I work for Disney Store and I agree that the environment is more sales based. They still have the same Disney values of delivering great guest service but they don't really give you as many tools to do that as they do in the theme parks. It's tough when you can't give free things haha.

I wouldn't say we are forced to make people buy things... rather they like you to offer guests additional items to compliment what they have bought. That is what giving great guest service is though... and they expect you to be the same in Disney World. Knowing what might be a perfect gift for a 7 year old girl who is really into singing... that kind of thing.

Then they do promotions they like you to offer every guest.

To be fair 70% of shoppers have no clue what is going on most of the time and they like the guidance and advice haha.

Still... I don't want to be stuck in retail forever either.

And I won't... I have a Disney Cruise Line start date... woo!

Ben

14. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

good for you!!!! When are you going?

Can I just say a MASSIVE thank you for all the useful information you have posted - it has come in extremely handy!

15. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I dont want to be stuck in retail either so i would like to do something different at disney!
    Oh wow, thats great, when do you start and what are you doing?

16. Freckles

Freckles Guest

ditto to that.

congrats on the cruise line job. when do you start?

17. cowza

cowza New Member

Oh no problem guys... anything I can share I will!

I am going to be a Youth Counsellor with Disney Cruise Line and I fly out on November 18th!

18. Freckles

Freckles Guest

two days after my birthday :) have fun!

19. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

oooh that sounds fun! I think I'm going to try and work on a ride, but the more I think about it I know I'll be happy wherever I get to work.

20. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I couldnt work on the cruise liner as i have a fear of the sea and dont like boats! But congratz, im sure that will be amazing, how long are you on the liner for?