Characters

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by *PennyCrayon*, Sep 11, 2008.

1. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Thanks cowza!
    I think seen as though ive worked sales for two years i would be most likely put in merch but it wouldnt bother me at all.
    At the moment i am just focusing on the interviews, hopefully i will get a face two face interview!

2. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

me too, I have lots of experience in shops, but my main job has been in an office so i don't know where I'd get put. I hope I get an interview, I've started a blog now and it'll look pretty stupid if I don't get past a phone interview. Fingers crossed for everyone!

3. Freckles

Freckles Guest

i have none...but i have experience in fast food and dealing with customers. so that may be my advantage to getting operations :D

4. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Ive dealt with lots of customers, you deal with a lot of freaky things if you live and work in my town!

5. Freckles

Freckles Guest

for example?

6. cowza

cowza New Member

My manager said something funny about operations vs merchandise... I don't know if it's true haha. I guess there is some element of truth to it...

*said in a strong southern American accent*

'I think they do a great job at casting merchandise and operations. When you're sat in a breakroom at Test Track or Mission Space you can really pick out who is merchandise and who is operations. The operations people are meaner and merchandise are a lot more helpful and friendly.'

I really couldn't tell you what they look for in operations coz there are a lot of different rides but a big one is 'attitude' I think. The people in operations have to be quite loud and quite abrupt. People whinge at you when they've waited too long and you have to be good at getting the attention of groups of people I guess.

Experience isn't really relevent though because pretty much every ride at Disney World will have its own training program which will prepare you just fine and you'll get tested on it.

I remember on one occasion I went to space mountain... had a friend who worked there and I had his appartment key. I couldn't find him so I went on the ride and then when I got off it, I went back to the loading area to give the key to a girl there (because I recognised her and she must have known my friend).

Anyway, she was such an ass. She shouted at me like I was going to try and get back into the rocket or something. She was only doing her job I guess... she didn't know I had no intention of doing such a thing. But that's a good example of a case where you do have to be rude and firm to a certain extent... safety is a huge issue in operations. Somewhere like space mountain anyway.

Something like great movie ride or philharmagic can be a very different experience.

7. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I would like to do operations but im not mean or evil!
    What do they see in merch?

8. cowza

cowza New Member

You don't have to be mean and evil on all the rides... to be fair... they are probably all a bit psycho on Space Mountain... spending that long in the dark... would drive me mental I think hahaha.

Merchandise... I guess they look for friendly people. People who like meeting people. Of all the roles I think merchandise has one of the highest guest interactions... when people are on a ride they don't want to stop and talk to those cast members.

In merchandise... people want to tell you about their vacation and want to know about where you are from and how you came to work at Disney. They want to know tips about the parks... your favourite restaurant... the quietest times of year... pretty much everything. Some people will chat to you for ages. And it's A LOT easier than a regular retail position believe me... people want to talk coz they are on vacation haha. Plus you get to do loads of pin trading and even give out free stuff and play games with the kids. It can be very rewarding.

9. cowza

cowza New Member

I'm not sure if this will work or not but if any of you have facebook I have a video montage I made there of my experience... work aside it might give you a little insight into the kind of experience you might have...

Here is the link...

Hope you enjoy. It is about 10 minutes long... I think it is worth the watch tho haha ;D

http://www.new.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=562202287812

10. leomgray

leomgray New Member

OMG Merchandise is so suited to me, i want to work at the Emproium now for definet i think!

11. cowza

cowza New Member

Be warned the emporium can get extremely busy and crowded... quite often it's more about sales because there is this natual need to get guests through the cash registers as fast as possibe. I'm sure it is more chilled out during the day if you're lucky to get those shits. Just like operations, merchandise has different experiences depending on location.

12. CharlotteSparkle

That video was so good, I have no idea how you did it but thank you for letting us watch! I love how you matched the songs. I want to go even more now, and I didn't think that was possible!

I can't decide where I want to work. I know I want to do operations, with or without spiel. Loving the idea of working at Philharmagic :)

13. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I know it can get busy but i wouldnt mind, i dont think. I want to work there, i would like to work in the clothes section of it, i think that would be great fun!
    But i wouldnt mind focusing on sales but as long as i get interaction with the guests i will be happy!

14. ginabella

ginabella New Member

leomgray the person to talk to about the emporium is catfish278?!? i think her tag is, im almost certain she worked there. give her a pm or something, i'm sure she'd love to tell you all about it!!

15. cowza

cowza New Member

No problem and go for it Leom if you think that's where you want to be! You will be scheduled a lot of hours there. I know someone who works there... I think you normally get scheduled to a few different areas and you stick to those. She did the jewellers on the other side of main street and then the firehouse and I think also the clothes section in the emporium.

I was Art of Disney, Pin Central and Club Cool in Epcot by the way. Good mix there haha.

Ben

16. mint

mint New Member

i just read through most of this and thanks cowza for clearing things up!!

just wondering though, is character attendant the only position where you get to park-hop? i would love to be in MK :D or working at Tower of Terror specifically but park hopping sounds interesting, tho i guess you could always go to different parks on your days off!

haha now i'm definitely deciding between operations/attractions and merchandise. :)

17. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I dont know now!

18. CharlotteSparkle

It's such a huge decision! I know I might not even get my number 1 choice, but I still feel like I really need to know where I want to be so I can plead my case in the interview - then it's down to the Disney magic

19. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

See the thing with me is I have worked at The Disney Store Canada before. Only for about a month, but even so. I hope they don't see that and say "oh she has experience selling Disney items... Merchandise it is!!"

As much as I wouldn't mind it TOO much (since the Disney Store work was pretty fun most of the time), I really want to try something different, a NEW experience, something I've never done before.

20. ariella

ariella New Member

I really liked the video too, I just really want this experience of working there! Plus, getting to work with people who love Disney as much as me. Most of my friends have never been to Disney, and I find that the ones who haven't been to Disney just don't understand.

Ya, I have no idea what to put down as my preferences. I keep changing my mind. I would love to be a character but wouldn't mind working at the Haunted Mansion (I love their costumes!) or the Great Movie Ride. The only job I know I cannot do is lifeguard since I am not a good swimmer lol!

Anijac1412-Ohhh Disney Store, I have always wanted to work there but we don't have one in my hometown! I would probably end up spending the majority of my paycheck at the store though! I understand about the new experience though, majority of my job history is retail, and I was head cashier at Old Navy so I know I could end up working in one of the shops but I know it would be so different than working in a clothing store.