Aussie in summer program Nov 2007

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Mel_c, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Loz

Loz New Member

Hey Bryce,
    No idea what character I'd like to be, though hopefully something warm. I didn't know we were supposed to sign autographs! Time to get the boxing gloves out and practice.
    Ps-the 2019 form has all the info to say you'll be working there and won't be a burden on society or anything. I think.

Steve, sorry, was being a smarty pants (don't know if I can say any other words on here)
    Can't you go online to get the appointment? try visapoint.com. We can still do swimming lessons, I see one of the appartment buildings has an awesome pool.
    Loz

2. Bryce

Bryce New Member

When I was in Disneyland all the kids had autograph books and were collecting autographs from all the characters... okay I admit, I had one myself (but only got about three autographs). Some of them would be quite elaborate like the Walt Disney logo font. I felt kinda sorry for the people having to do it... but it didn't stop me. ;D
    Yeah the pools (and the apartment complexes in general) look nice... I might start a diet so I can go for a swim without ppl thinking a walrus has escaped from Sea World down the road haha. ::)

Cya!

3. stevestone

stevestone New Member

Hey Loz,

No apologies necessary mate!!! Its all cool!!! BTW all the apartment complexes have pretty huge pools and apparently there's always a party on in the pools. Exciting times ahead!!!

@Bryce
    Yeah bro!!! Do all the dieting now! There ain't no dieting in Disney.

Cheers
    Steve

4. nuttybuddy

nuttybuddy New Member

hey...

unlike most of u i have never been to any Disneyland. I went all the way to France but never somehow saw Disneyland. Its going to be a completely new experience for me!

the housing complex does look awesome! In fact a lot of people have got blogs which has pictures of the rooms. It looks pretty mint. I know i wont sleeping much there with all the partying i plan to do!...therefore i will catch up on my sleep now ::)

@tina,cass or loz

do the packages have any information about which housing complex we are assigned ???
    and also what sporting facilities they have in or around those complexes ???

cheers
    Peter

5. Loz

Loz New Member

Peter-they don't tell us what complex we're in, but I hear that international people get put in the two newer ones that are close together. Can't remember what they're called.
    As for the sporting stuff, I saw volleyball courts in the intro video online. And maybe a go-kart track, how cool is that!

I wonder if they have autograph class... Think they mind if Pinocchio or whatever is a leftie?

6. Bryce

Bryce New Member

Haha you guys sound like big partyers so I guess I'll have to leave my usual nanna self behind and get in on it. :p
    A go kart track would be awesome! Hope it's true.
    Yeah, like you said Lauren, I think we'll be in Chatham probably as the Commons is for cultural rep ppl and Vista is for Americans mostly from what I've read. Hope we all get put in the same complex - South Pacific hijacking FTW.

Bryce

PS Steve/Peter - I've booked my consulate interview for October 9 (Tuesday), hopefully you'll be free so we can meet somewhere. What is a good way to spend an afternoon downtown? ???

7. stevestone

stevestone New Member

Hey Bryce,

How did you book the visa interview without the DS2019? Or have you received it already? Because we haven't. Or did you book the interview without that?

Yeah we should be free to meet up on Oct 9th.

@Loz
    Go karting sounds like a lot of fun. Yeah the sports facilities seem to be really good. Don't know how much time we will get to use them though. Hitting the parks/water parks are a tad more tempting.

Cheers
    Steve

8. nuttybuddy

nuttybuddy New Member

did you say go-karting. i am so going to kick all your butts ;D i love sports!! man i hope there is a lot to do there because sports is essential for my living lol :p
    i also read somewhere that they have a basket ball and tennis court too. not entirely sure where exactly it is.

Commans is know as the party place for all international people so i guess we might be put up there.

@bryce do tell us how you got the interview ??? hmmm these american people are so slow!
    we are always free as we dont attend lectures. i know steve would agree. a good thing to do on a tuesday is to watch a cheap movie haha. what would you like to do? we can all just go for lunch somewhere i guess. hopefully its all sunny :)

parks are going to be fun. i guess the first day when i arrive in orlando i am just going to put my luggage somewhere or leave it with security :p and hit the parks only if they allow us!

@ loz i think autographs lessons would be good. i am not a character performer but you never know it might become handy afterwards lol!

9. Bryce

Bryce New Member

To book the interview I just rung the 0900 US VISA number ($3.50 per minute after the first minute WTF!!!!!) and told them my passport number and booked it. I was gonna make it for the Monday but apparently that is Colombus Day in the States so they're not open. ::)
    I haven't got the DS 2019 form yet but surely should have it by then (a month). I wanted to book my flights so I don't have to buy the more expensive/flexi fares later, but I can change them for $50 if I still don't have the DS 2019 by then. The flights to Auckland cost $238 so not too bad. :)
    Now I have to go pay some fee at the post office and a fee online, and fill out all the forms to take, and get another passport photo because they need a 2"x2" one (different size to normal passport photos - this place knows how to be a bitch alright).

You don't go to lectures? Haha the truth is starting to come out now... J/K I miss lectures all the time and go to the mall or fall asleep in the library - especially when I know the lecture can be downloaded off the net later.

I just wanna go to the parks ASAP too (esp Epcot - Test Track and Soarin look awesome), but I don't think you get your pass thingy till after the training. :'(
    Also I found a special ticket thing for US$200 (I think) that gives you unlimited entry into Sea World, Wet N Wild, Universal Studios, Universal Islands of Adventure & Busch Gardens Africa for two weeks, so if we get sick of Disney we could get one of those. ;D You can never have to much theme park.

Wow that was a long post,
    Cya!

10. Bryce

Bryce New Member

OMG the site changed my expletive into "Mickey" hahaha.

11. Loz

Loz New Member

Hey guys!
    hmm, go-karting or space mountain...
    obviously no contest! Theme parks rule. That pass thing looks good Bryce. Don't be too sad about not getting our pass the first day, remember that we're there over a big holiday period, which means extra opening hours!!! Something like midnight closes, so we'll have lots of time. I wonder if there's a list of everthing to do there. I want to try it all!!

Sounds like getting a Visa in New Zealand is even tougher than here! All I have to do is fly 3000km and sleep at a backpackers hostel, stuff the 1900 line!

Steve, I don't know what the weather's like in the land of the long white cloud, but us northerners are a little sensitive to cold. the water parks better be heated!

12. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I want to try everything too Lauren - I'm thinking about Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, Rockin Rollercoaster, Big Thunder Mountain, Test Track (endless list) pretty much 24/7 haha. So much stuff to do, ten weeks might not even be long enough lol. ;D
    I don't even want to think about how much $$$ I'm gonna spend in all the shops and restaurants too.

13. stevestone

stevestone New Member

Hey guys,

Loz, we dont have to ring the silly number only if we have queries. But yeah I think you can enter the parks for free before you start, not sure about first day though.

Bryce, since you have called the number can you divulge a few details on the procedure and on what documents are required.

Cheers
    STEVE

PS - Steve goes back to his dreaded reports.

14. Loz

Loz New Member

Bryce, I have a solution-we don't sleep for ten weeks. I did read somewhere that sleep deprivation of that magnitude can cause permanent brain damage, but in the long run, it may be worth it.

Good luck with your reports steve!

15. nuttybuddy

nuttybuddy New Member

hey peeps!

i dont seem to understand why does it take that long to send some documents over from florida ??? i'm getting pretty anxious now :mad:

i think on my first day i would just getting acquainted with everyone else and then hit the parks the next day!!

@steve have you noticed that our reports dont seem to get over! right after this 45% report due on monday we have 3*20% reports due in the next 2 weeks or so...arrggg

@bryce dont worry about the money we will end up spending there because i know when i come back home i would be in a lot of debt but whats the point of going there and not having fun!

BTW will anyone celebrate their b'days over there? mine is on 7th Jan.

16. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I'll try and remember everything the woman told me Steve:

Before you go you have to pay a $140 fee at any NZ Post (take your passport with you, and you can't pay by credit card), and a US$100 fee at fmjfee.com using a credit card (but you can't pay this one until after you have the DS-2019.

You have to take to the Consulate the receipts from both those fees (print the online one off I presume), your passport, a self-addressed courier bag for them to send your passport and visa to you, a 2"x2" photo (different size to normal passport photos so be careful), the DS-2019 and the DS-156, 157 and 158 forms (you do the DS-156 online at the Consulate website and submit it and print a copy)... Plus you need to take evidence for the interview that proves you have commitments in NZ (ie you're not planning on staying in the US) and that you can support yourself or somebody else can support you if things don't go as planned in the US.
    The woman asked me if I was enrolled at uni for next year but I don't think you can even do that yet. She suggested taking student loan and credit card statements, plus a bank account statement of your own accounts or your parents to prove they can send you money if you need it. Just anything useful for evidence I guess.

Also they only do interviews 8-11am lol (mine is at 11).
    I think that's everything. ;D

Haha zombies coming right up.

@ Peter - nah I don't turn 21 until May 5. :'(

Cya guys, I'm off to work... Please kill me now.

17. stevestone

stevestone New Member

Hey Guys,

@Bryce
    Thanks for that. You mentioned that you fill the 156 online. But where do you fill the 157 and 158 forms? Damn I am getting impatient, I want to book the internal flights in the US. The exchange rate is also not helping at the moment!!!

@Loz
    Thanks I need it!!! I hate reports!!!

Cheers
    Steve

PS - My birthday is on 3rd Jan. Closest to New Year's LOL

18. Bryce

Bryce New Member

The 157/158 forms are weird - you can click in the spaces and fill them in on the computer (then print them) or just print them off and handwrite it. But the 156 has to be submitted electronically, it can't be hand-written (then print it off once you've submitted it and take it with you along with the others).
    Hope that answers the question?

Yeah I'm getting impatient too, I haven't booked any of the flights yet!
    I just remembered today that I haven't got my police check back yet (hurry up!), so I guess that's not helping grrr.

January 3! Wow Christmas, New Years and your birthday in like a week. Is your family gonna send presents all the way to Florida lol? ;D

Cya,
    Bryce

19. Loz

Loz New Member

I have a solution-get them to send money!
    Wonder why guys need an extra 2 forms?

20. stevestone

stevestone New Member

Interesting thought! Could always use some extra cash.

Cheers
    Steve