Tax questions

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Zanitta, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

Okay, I just recieved what I think is my W2 form (I worked in the IP 2005-6) but nothing else! so I have no idea how to file it or anything, can anybody help me? I know there is a tax guide on the left there but it hasn't been updated since 2002 so I thought it better to check.

Edit: also, is it possible to file online?

2. jenmacp

jenmacp New Member

Okay, I am NOT an expert by any way, but I've recently been looking into it myself....

I believe you have to file this form:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf

here is the help doc for it:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf

Edited to add: you can also use this form if you don't have any interest on US bank accounts or charitable donations you wish to deduct. From what I understand as per line 9a in the above info doc, you don't need to claim interest as income in you are a nonresident alien.

Easier, shorter form:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nre.pdf

I think you have to pay to file electronically through an accounting firm or financial organization. I think i'm going to get about $800USD back but will owe the Canadian gov't, like, $5,000. Ick.

~ Jen

3. this whole tax thing is a nightmare, the questions are soooo confusing, im stuck on the first 1, name and initial, which inital????????????????????????????????????

4. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

Okay, hopefully last question. It asks if I files my taxes before, I did for the 2005 taxes (I worked sept-sept so filed in jan/feb time) and it's asking me what form number I used but I have no idea, did anyone from the commons use the people who came to do our taxes (and so hopefully know?), or is it just the same form as I'm doing noe (1040nr-ez)

5. jenmacp

jenmacp New Member

The first letter of your middle name is the initial to which they refer

6. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

I have info on this...I kept all the paperwork from last year...

you need to scan your W2 and send it in an email to ameritaxshoppe@yahoo.com who will process it for you. you need to include your name, home country address and social security number and then when it's filed, they deduct a fee from the money you're meant to get back and send you the rest in a cheque....

I just did mine! :)

x x x
    and can I just add, yes it is a pain, but woohoo for random money coming in! :D

7. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

AWESOME! You just saved me a huge amount of time and worry :)

Was it expensive, how much did they charge? Did you get a lot of your tax back?

Edit: I just looked online for the company and it had a different email address, have you heard anything back from yours yet? If it's definately the address you said then I'll use that one instead of the site.

8. Marie

Marie Guest

Zanitta!!! How is life after disney treating you?

Ellen... i talk to u all the time on myspace... so weird to be back on these boards where it all started!

Im doing the same as Ellen for taxes i dont have the time so would rather just let someone else deal with it. I called American tax shoppe cos they hadnt replied to the e mail... its all good they want me to fax the stuff to them tomorrow. I have 2 W2 forms so my tax return may be kindof complicated... the accounting director offered to do mine at work... but he knows nothing about visas and files by hand... which would take over a month... Im gonna give american tax shoppe a go first just to make sure its done right. They said on the phone it would take a week to 2 weeks to get my money (tho im in the states so maybe longer if ur in the UK.) The woman said on the phone it would probably cost around what it did last year... I hope so!

Hope we all get some $s back anyways... im already planning the vacation!

Marie
    xxx

9. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

Hi Marie! how are you?

How come you're still in the states?

10. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

LMAO And I thought I didn't have a clue about the forms!!!
    I hate the fact they updated the forms, because I still had the one I did in 2001 and it would have been so much easier. Now I am totally lost and will probably go through a third party to get my money, even if it means paying a fee, it's better than having this big hassle.

Julia

11. Marie

Marie Guest

Hey Zanitta! I'm doing good thanks. what do u do now?
    Ive been back in the states since late Nov (spent 2 months back in england...) then got a new job for ski season. I'm in Cali now!

Julia... i got your message on bebo... i'll reply in due course!

Marie
    xxx

12. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Zanitta...they haven't replied...so perhaps I do have the email address wrong...tho you'd think they would have let us know somehow!!!

what's the new email address?? and how are you getting on back in this hell hole of a country!?!?

x

13. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

14. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I read it ;D Can't believe how time flies, it's crazy. I'll comment you back soon ;)

15. OttawaChikky

OttawaChikky New Member

Have any Canadians recieved their W2 tax forms yet in the mail...i havn't yet?

16. Jorden

Jorden New Member

I got mine last week.

17. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

sorry for the late reply! I ended up calling them on skype to double check they had recieved my info and they emailed me a couple of days later confirming. They asked me to send my DOB too, and to send it to the yahoo address (I originally sent it to the info@ameritaxshoppe addy on the site).

18. PlanetD

PlanetD Member

So what percentage do they take ??? How much is it going to cost me via AmeritaxShoppe?

Has anybody done it before?

Let us know.

19. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

They only take $35 as their fee for processing your tax refund...small change compared to what you get back! :)

20. PlanetD

PlanetD Member

Very cool! Thank you so much!