Summer ICP- The Lifeguard role.

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by BANGItsLaura, Nov 6, 2009.

1. BANGItsLaura

BANGItsLaura New Member

Helloooo ;D

I have the f2f interview in Liverpool (yay) and I'm wondering about which role to put my name down for.
    I've heard you can be a Lifegaurd?
    Does anyone know more details about what this role will entail? If you need any previous training? And where about's in the resort you might be place?

Thank you for your help! Good luck to the people applying, and if you're at the interview in Liverpool on the 18th, can't wait to see you there :D :D :D

<3

2. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

You can certainly be a lifeguard!

I've heard you don't need previous training as I'm sure the certification and stuff is different in the U.S. Obviously, previous experience/training is helpful. But they do give you some training and you will need to be able to pass the tests. As to what the tests are, I'm not exactly sure, hopefully someone else will be able to answer that.

As for where you'll work, it can be in one of the 2 water parks (Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach) or you can be working at one of the many pools in any of the resorts!

3. Sofi

Sofi Guest

i can't swim so that role is a no go for me ^_^ but if i go in the pool u can save me lol x

4. BANGItsLaura

BANGItsLaura New Member

HA HA, i'd try my best.
    OOO, I remember when I was 7, being around the pool with the wave machines, they really scared me lol. Hopefully my childhood fears wouldn't prevent me from diving in a saving some lives!
    ::)

5. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Don't quote me on this but I think you need to be able to swim a certain length in a reasonable amount of time and also do various tests with retrieving bricks from the bottom of the pool...something like that! Probably best to find someone on here who was a lifeguard!

6. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

It tells you on the role list at the interview :)
    Shortly I'll post what roles are available :)
    xx

7. cristiann

cristiann New Member

Lifeguard 

Responsibilities may include:
    Monitoring Guests’ safety in water and on slides/attractions
    Physically challenging work and prolonged exposure to outside elements
    Providing first aid and basic life support in the event of Guest injury or illness
    Strong swimming skills
    Keeping recreational areas clean
    Providing Guest information
    Standing for extended periods, working outdoors
    During off-peak seasons, assisting other operating areas throughout the Walt Disney World® Resort, including performing roles other than lifeguarding
    Each individual must be evaluated and certified at the Walt Disney World Resort. All lifeguards must pass a swim test and a vision screening that requires 20/20 vision with or without corrective lenses. In the event you do not pass the swim test described below, you will be placed in another role based on availability.
    Lifeguard Swim Test
    Swim 200 yards (183 meters) freestyle or breaststroke
    Retrieve a 10-lb (4.5 kg) brick from the deepest section of the pool (minimum 8 feet / 2.4 meters)
    Tread water with hands out of the water for two minutes
    Participants reserved a Lifeguard position must complete a pre-qualification test prior to their arrival. Participants must have have the certified instructor validate skills and complete a form that must be sent to the Recreation team no longer than 2 weeks prior to a participant's arrival. This form is available on this Web site to those extended invitations to participate on the program as a lifeguard.

8. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Only 200 yards? That's not a lot, I wonder if it's timed...

I guess it makes sense though as the pools are limited in size so you would never have to swim any more than that.

The hardest part, IMO, would be treading water with hands out of water for 2 minutes. I've got my bronze cross/medallion, but for some reason, my legs are not able to go in the "egg beater" motion so it was really tough.

9. mac shell

mac shell New Member

Iv done the american red cross lifeguard cert before when i went to camp but it runs out in april- think im going to apply for lifeguard, kinda hope i wouldnt end up at hoel swimming pools tho would so much rather be in a water park- does anyone know the chances?
    As for treading water i think thats pretty easy its the dive down to retreive the weight i thought was pretty hard as its a minimum dive of 8ft so does anyone know what the maximum is ?? xxx

10. BANGItsLaura

BANGItsLaura New Member

Lol, I'm so glad someone put the role requirements up.
    Looks like I won't be able to be a life guard then!
    I do not the high standard of fitness they are looking for. I like swimming, do it weekly, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to do that...
    Nay mind! I'm sure they're are lots of other possibilies :)
    :)

11. captain_kylie

captain_kylie New Member

You dnt have to be fit to be a lifeguard believe me! My boyfriend done that role this past summer and he's quite unfit and he got the role, he absoloutly loved it apart from the lack of guest service and hes beautiful tan lines lol
    but as long as u can swim and are interested in the traning coz that bit was hard work then you'll be fine x