Money.

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by MademoiselleMinnie, Aug 31, 2011.

1. I'm hoping to apply to do the Summer Work Experience next summer. However, I'm worried I wont be able to cover the cost of it all! The flights alone will be difficult enough to save for. I'm starting at Nottingham Uni this September and was perhaps considering applying for summer 2013 instead. Though I don't know what I'd do without my Disneyworld fix for the year ;) so ideally I'd love to go next summer.

I was just wondering if anyone had any light to shed on how much money they took to Florida, to buy all the essentials etc. Or when you get your first pay cheque. I'd hate to be successful in my application and then have to turn it down because of finances.

Thanks for any responses!

2. DisneySpike

DisneySpike New Member

This is not a program you make money off of, infact most people who do not live in North America actually lose money due to cost of flights. I spent around $100 on food and essentials when I got down there but the food lasted me quite some time and i did bring some of my own essentials such as tooth paste, soap, shampoo etc. but honestly depends on what you want to buy, if you buy a phone down there, how much you eat etc.

3. Thanks for your reply :) I'm more concerned about arriving there and being able to live for the first month. Ideally I'd like to go home breaking even, or having lost money on flights. It's the living costs I'm trying to work out if I'll be able to afford it!

4. Linzee

Linzee New Member

I just finished the programme and probably spent around $150 dollars to set up with a phone and router etc then finished with $500 and probably only worked about 35 hours a week and i bought annual pass for universal and plenty of merch, trips to the mall etc the killer is if you live in vista and are tempted to eat out every night or don't take your own food to work as many of my friends did but you can still afford to do that if you don't want to save anything, so yeah you lose out on your flight money but if you can afford the flight and some visa costs (i think i spent around £1000 with flights, visa & insurance), go for it, it is most definitely worth it! :D Also your first pay check will be a week on Thursday after you arrive, at least ours was :) x

5. Piglet

Piglet New Member

I took like $150 maybe even less and the program cost me about £1200, i had no help with costs from anyone tho i literally saved all the money up from loans and wages, i had so many little money boxes around my room that i put change in and it helped :p & ur wage over there takes care of u for the program, if u can get together that £1200 in the start which is doable, your sorted from then! Good luck, i'm about to do it all over again too :p

6. Thanks for your replies, they are so helpful! I'm so eager to do it, though this year is my first year at Uni and I'm really hoping to get a job pretty much straight away, for this to even be possible. I'm a good saver, and have retail experience... I just hope I find something (and of-course get on to the programme)

^Good luck with applying again!

7. catfish278

catfish278 Member

8. Catfish, I actually watched your vlog on costs a few days ago! Very helpful and I'm in the process of reading your blogs. Thanks for the links :)

9. AmyJC

AmyJC New Member

Wow you guys get good! I'm from Australia and it costs us about $3000 and I'm going to 6 months.. but it's totally worth it!!!:D

10. catfish278

catfish278 Member

LOL it seems like shameless self-promotion but I am genuinely hoping to help people because I remember how clueless I was for my first ICP in 2008! :)

11. cammysan

cammysan New Member

I had a look at Webjet's prices for flights leaving mid July for the August 2012 intake the cheapest was around AU$1800 one way, seeing as how you can't book your flight back for I think it's 90 days the travel agent told me (I may be wrong). If I get in I've got 10 months to save about $5000 for airfares and initial costs/pre-disney holiday...

12. citylightsTAM

citylightsTAM New Member

You're lucky you're in so early. I discovered the ICP only back in the end of June 2012 and I didn't get accepted til August :) I'm going in January.

13. cammysan

cammysan New Member

oh i'm not in just yet, i only got the PSSF back today (after a month of emailing people :mad: ) and my passport should be here in about ten or so days, then i've gotta scan that in, and then send everything off to disney. ;D

14. KirstyB

KirstyB New Member

Lets be honest, it is an expensive program but I can tell you that it is honestly worth every penny.

That isnt the case for everyone, some people don't enjoy it to the same extent.

I went in my first summer of Uni and I am so glad that I did. It made second year so much easier, public speaking is a doddle now after doing it so much at Disney, it really helps to develop you as a person.

My advice would be enjoy the beginning of your first year, make lots of friends but bear in mind you will have to save throughout the year to be able to go- or if your university offers a Travel bursary, its always worth applying!

15. gingerbuzz

gingerbuzz New Member

Disregarding flights, as obviously this is different for everyone, How much does the whole thing cost?

16. KirstyB

KirstyB New Member

Okay again this varies because obviously you have to account for your travelling to and from the US embassy 4-6 weeks before you go to Orlando (so that depends how far it is from where you live) you also have to account for first weeks rent and groceries for 1-2 weeks- but obviously you will have to get things like bedding, if you need wireless then a cheap router from walmart, a US cell phone ect.

Taking into account basic costs you are probably looking at somewhere around:

£500 approximately. I mean if you get cheap rent and you dont spend a lot on groceries then it may be cheaper but realistically I would set around £500 aside for these costs.

Then there's travel to the US embassy and return flights.

It's worth speaking to other ICP alumni as to how much it cost them.

17. Tasha--x

Tasha--x Member

I did the program in 2010 and I had my flight as a present for christmas off my parents and used some of my student loan to pay for things such as getting to the airport, us visa and program fee etc.. I earned around $2,500 and honestly came home with 13c.. Lol so dont do the program if you think you will make money because Florida shopping is just far too addictive!!

Here are a few costs I can think of, but dont quote me on them cos I dont remember exact amounts..
    Return flights around £460
    Program fee $100
    Getting to the American Embassy around £20 (Depending on where you live)
    Hotel stay the night before you leave £30 (Travel Lodge at Gatwick)
    Airport food £20 (yes its expensive!)
    CRB £35
    Insurance £95
    American Visa - I think was something like £120, then you pay to have it sent home to you..
    Walmart trip when you arrive.. Depending on whether you have bought bedding etc with you is around $100

Dont forget you need clothes to go with, work shoes etc.. if anyone can think of any other costs just pop them on here :)

18. Piglet

Piglet New Member

From ICP 2010:

19. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member

20. FHUN

FHUN New Member

I'm flying from Thailand and it costs me about $3000(air ticket is $2000). I'm gonna have to work at least 45hrs/week.. hope it will be fun. :)