Mobile Phones!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by pinksparkles2, Mar 30, 2010.

1. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

I know it isn't too difficult to get hold of an American sim card. But as someone already said in a thread about blackberries.. what about the data charges? Obviously we're going to need pay as you go rather than contract but is there an American sim card you can get that isn't too expensive for the amount of data on iPhone/Blackberry etc?! Anyone know what network Americans generally use for smart phones?!
    If not I guess I'll just take an old phone and have to try and survive without my apps :-\ :p !!
    xxx

2. catfish278

catfish278 Member

I am due for an upgrade on my rubbish phone... and I really want a blackberry!! But I figured there is no point because I would end up paying so much to take it to america and I already have a cheapo PAYG from when I last went... to be honest, I think you can survive without apps! :)

3. jameshamuk

jameshamuk New Member

aparantly you can go into a tmobile store, get something called a flexpay thing which is somethin like 500 mins an 500 texts for $29.99 for the month and then add on bb internet an that for $25, you prepay it cos they cant do a credit check on us really cos wer not proper residents.

thats the only way of been able to use your blackberry, iphone on the other hand can be used with at&t, tmobile etc on a bog standard prepaid plan with a standard internet add on of you wish

bb's are a pain in the arse cos you need a blackberry service if you want to use email & bbm

4. Sofi

Sofi Guest

I have a crappy phone. I'm not into my new phones i like retro boring things where the battery does'nt die after a day. lol so if i just take that over (its on orange) i can just wack an american sim in it and use it to contact mates in the country right? x

5. catfish278

catfish278 Member

That's fine as long as it doesn't block the sim because it's on a different network to orange... to be honest, I bought a bog standard PAYG nokia for $30 and it came with free top up from walmart :)

6. Sofi

Sofi Guest

cool il just do that :) im on contract atm and im putting a block on my contract for 4 months so it suspends the contract and u get no bills, but im taking my phone anyway so i have something for the airport to text family and bf, then itl cut out on the 2nd =] x