Laptops

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by *PennyCrayon*, Mar 15, 2009.

1. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

What are people's views on taking them? I'm unsure at the mo but obvs would be good to keep in touch with people at home (the wonders of fb and skype)!

2. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I am going to take something with me - probably a netbook as my laptop has some pretty important stuff on and I don't want to lose it (and I love it!)! (also I hate Vista so wouldn't want to have to get a new one with a dissertation coming!)
    But a netbook should be fine! I'm going to look at them over Easter :)
    xx

3. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

I took mine and was glad I did. Internet speeds vary, but the convenience of having it 24/7 in your own appartement was very handy (and can be used for Skype). The communal computers may be 5 mins from your appartements which can be a pain for a quick email check. They're often busy so you may have to wait 15 mins for a computer (and your time on them will be limited).They also have limited daytime opening hours - so if you're working that day you may be unable to use them when you get back from work. There are also computers at work locations you could use at the beginning/end of shifts. They're all called Disney Learning Centers and have various other books and resources with them and are manned.

In terms of security you'll have a locker in your closet/walk in wardrobe which will fit a laptop (on its side) with other stuff (though bring or purchase a padlock for it) or you could bring a security cable I suppose so hopefully it won't get stolen (though no certainty on that obviously).

If you have a laptop I'd say bring it, though be careful over its security. If you don't have one, no worries, you should probably manage fiine without one.

4. kat333w

kat333w New Member

Do all the apartments have wireless?? xxx

5. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

No. All appartements come with a non wireless router (usually in the living room) which you must supply a network cable to connect to. A basic (very slow) connection is availiable free to everyone from this and requires no passwords - just plug in and go. You can upgrade this to a faster connection for a fee - I'm not quite sure how this is done, the previous tennants of my appartement had done this already. You could also purchase a wireless router from a local shop and use this if you wanted to.

You may be able to connect to another nearby appartement's wireless if they have it and didn't bother to password protect it (and others do the same to you if you don't set up any security on yours). If you're joining an already part occupied appartement they may already have wireless or have upgraded their connection speed. Similarly they may already have a TV.

6. leomgray

leomgray New Member

im going to take mine with me, i couldnt live without it, hehe. I wont have anything majorly important on it for uni and that, but i will back my stuff onto our computer just incase. I also may buy a laptop out there to bring home, do they still work in the UK if you buy them in the US?

7. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

They do, one of my uni friends is american and brought his with him - however you may have to get a different transformer for them due to the different voltage!
    I think I'll still get a netbook though, knowing me I'd drop it or lose it at some point on the journey (seems like it would be hard to do I know, but my dad once left one in a hire car!!)
    xx

8. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Oh my, i could never leave my laptop, hehe.

I am still wondering if im allowed to take two pieces of hand luggage on the flight with me.

9. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Go with not I feel
    Technically you should be able to take a laptop bag and a rucksack, but they may not like it. And it would have to be a small rucksack I think!
    I'm still trying to decide whether or not to take my duvet with me vacuum packed!
    xx

10. mpark90

mpark90 Member

haha im doing that
    the vacuum packed duvet thing
    but only a summer duvet - the thin oneee

11. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Does anyone know if virgin lets you take a laptop bag and a travel bag on the plane with you?

12. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

They used to
    Not 100% sure if you can now they've increased security - email the flying club and they'll tell you :)
    Or the website will

But this could change by June Leom!!
    xx

13. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Thanks, i will email nearer the time, hehe.

14. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

Certainly the case last summer was that BA definitely would, officially Virgin wouldn't.
    Here's the info from the website (and is the same as it was last summer)In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, the following personal items may be carried on board:

Economy and Premium Economy passengers may take 1 piece of hand baggage on board. Individual dimensions not to exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 13lb/6kg in weight.

A handbag, pocketbook or purse i.e. which is appropriate to normal travelling dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles which could otherwise be regarded as baggage.
    An overcoat or wrap.
    An umbrella (pointed or/and sharp prohibited) or walking stick.
    A small camera and/or pair of binoculars.
    A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
    Infants food for consumption in flight.
    A small amount of duty free goods.

If you could pass off your other bag as an accessory then you're within the rules, whether they check or are fussed with what you carry enough to make you check an item in is another matter however. On the way there I was with BA so fine, on the way back I was probably exceeding the requirements but they didn't notice/take anything off me. Check the page http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/handbaggage.jsp just before your flight just in case things change.

15. They say on their website that you can take only take one bag as hand baggage but then again I took two bags back with me as hand luggage. They just stress that you have to show them that you have a laptop. Take it out of the bag etc. I just carried mine in my rucksac and put it in a protective slip so it wouldn't get bashed on the way there/back. You can get those special rucksacs as well that are made for traveling with space for a laptop and then plenty of space for other stuff.

16. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I think its such a joke that you have to pay for the faster internet connection now..When I was there on my year program, we got it as standard until 2 months before the end..

Then they basically dropped us down to an awful connection, and pretty much gave us no choice but to pay! If I remember rightly tho, I think its only like $10 a month, which isn't so bad, especially if there's 6 or 8 of you living in an apartment..

17. When I was in Chattham our internet connection was quite quick and I know that the apartment across from me had wireless but I don't know whether they had a router or not.

18. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I think im just going to get a new and bigger travel/laptop bag, but i may just email someone at virgin, cause i could pass my bag as a necessity and my laptop as my hand luggage. But i definitly would not be checking one in as luggage.

I know that the website said that, but i was unsure if laptop bags would be classed as another piece of baggage for taking on the craft, or summin like that.

19. theb5

theb5 New Member

Yup thats what I'm going to do. I was hoping since Virgin let you take two suitcases, they'd also allow two pieces of hand luggage, but obviously not! Definitely taking the laptop though - I didn't have mine when I lived away at Uni and having to go to the computer room everyday to check emails (and do work from time to time :p ) was a bit of a pain!

20. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Yea, ill just get a new laptop bag, but then again i dont think ill be taking much on the plane with me, but i have to have my laptop and phone with me along with my important documents in the bag.

We get complementary drinks and snacks on virgin flights dont we?