Knees Up Mother Brown - How have things changed?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by ToffeeGrl, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ToffeeGrl

ToffeeGrl New Member

I worked in UK Merch from August 98-99 spending most of my time outdoors on the three carts in front of the millenium pavillion. What is that pavillion now? Is it still open? I spent a whole year having to explain to guests what it is they were building and when I went back in Feb 2000 I couldnt believe how crap it was!!!

Are throw ins still tradition? New arrivals come, find out what apartment numbers the newbies would be at, getting them out of bed, asking them set questions, make them down a beer, sing knees up mother brown then soak them somehow!!! I hope things havent changed?!!

Whats going down in Pringles, the most boringest shop to work in? People used to come in one door pop their head in and walk straight back out? Are they still selling those crappy Oxford and Cambridge rugby shirts that no one wants?

Does Dennis still do the stock ordering?

Is the Custodial Gary Walz still around?

Ah the shifts at International Gateway were boring but taking out new manatee movers (what were those motorised wheelchairs called?) to guests was fun! Flying (as much as possible) round the park with those chairs is a fond memory. Do Uk Merch still do shifts down there?

Whats going down on Kidcot? Crowns, paper fish and chips, flags? Sequins, bloody sequins get everywhere!!!

Is the Alehouse still a popular venue on Tuesday nights? And Thursday nights free entry to P.I.?

Ahh the good old days. I still miss them even 6 years later. I just know though that going back to work there just wouldnt be the same without the people/managers that were there last time.

Long live Rebecca, John, Lisa, Missy, Bridget, Barb and Drew.............................. the good old days!! 

2. Rudy

Rudy New Member

shhhhhh!!! throw ins still take place but they're supposed to be a surprise!

;D

3. ToffeeGrl

ToffeeGrl New Member

Ah well, they are still unavoidable!!!! They started to die down towards the end of my stay and I had hoped and am glad that the tradition is still going.

4. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

ah Gary Walz!!! - he was a top bloke - always got those cheap calling cards from him.

5. cigarqueen

cigarqueen New Member

Oh how it's changed since you were there! I too was there between 98-99 and used to work in the Crown and Crest, then a cigar shop. I was in Epcot last year and couldn't believe the change!
    The Toy shop now has clothes in it. The Great Hall still has that corny family tree thing, the crown and crest sells chess sets and beatles merchandise and what was pringles is now a toy shop. They have moved Kidcot into the middle bit of pringles where the domed ceiling is and they have a character meet and greet in the back bit of pringles where you usedo to be able to scive!

As for the carts, they only have one UK cart now, with NO T-SHRTS!!! and they have a pin cart next to it. No T- Shirts for the tour groups to unfold!

Do you remember Peggy? What about Dee Bishop and Bridget Gall!!

God how I miss it!

6. ToffeeGrl

ToffeeGrl New Member

Who are you cigar queen? Is that Nigel?

I took over from Peggy on the carts!! Remember that version of "Be Your Guest?" she made up?

I cant believe Toy soldier is a clothes shop and Pringle is a toy shop!?! Wheres the sense in that? Ah skiving in the back of Pringles I remember it well. With Barb up at the front. That was Barbs shop after all!!! I suppose having the meet and greets there meets sense, makes use of the place!!

Only one cart ey? No challenge, especially when trying to lock up in the dark during illuminations. Ah the good old days.

Think Dee left before i started but i remember Bridget with that huge tattoo she had!

7. ToffeeGrl

ToffeeGrl New Member

Shit, hi Andrew,

I've just looked at ur profile and realised if it was u. Sorry for calling you nigel, lol!!!!! You did both used to work in Crown and Crest!!!!!

Are ya still working for BA? What u up to these days?

8. djscotia

djscotia New Member

ANDREW!!!

hows it going me old cheese? its stuart who also worked in crown and crest once you departed the shores for home.

hope all is going well

stuart

9. Marleen

Marleen New Member

Hi @ all,
    I just wondered about the throw in...what happens if somebody doesn't like and drink any beer?

Marleen

10. Marie

Marie Guest

I was wondering that too Marleen - i cant drink beer. More of a wine drinker sad i know. I know after a long flight i def wont be able to down beer - hope i dont make a bad impression on anyone.
    Marie  ???

11. ToffeeGrl

ToffeeGrl New Member

Its nothing to worry about guys.

Its no big deal that you dont drink beer, its just part of the welcome to the UK Pavillion!

You dont have to literally down the whole can anyway, just have a few sips! I know what you mean about beer, but the American stuff is very weak anyway! I somehow managed to miss a throw in as i arrived later than expected and no one had my apartment number! hehe

12. cigarqueen

cigarqueen New Member

" Be our Guest Be our guest put our service to the test
    Come on walk up to our cart darling and see why were the best
    wweve got pins weve got bags weve got plastic shopping bags
    weve got beatles cards and posters, weve got keyrings cards and coasters

we can tag we can fold and I hope that you'll be told
    that the welcome here is never second best
    but theres no merchantainment we don't get enough payment
    be our guest
    be our guest
    bloody pest

aaaahhh peggy......

I was on that day when I wondered where she was, after finding her sitting on what was the hilly bit behind the carts (now the millenium pav) amongst the trees! Shed written this, needless to say it gave us weeks of entertainment!

Toffeegirl who are you?
    Hey Stu hows you?

13. Marie

Marie Guest

Thanks Toffeegrl! :)

14. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

haha that song's hillarious!!im gonna learn it!lol!class!

xxx

15. ToffeeGrl

ToffeeGrl New Member

Andrew,

Its Elisa!!!

16. Marie

Marie Guest

Lol! i like that song too - loved b&b movie. Wonder if anyon still sings it. I guess we'll find out in June!
    Marie xxx :)