ICP Internet...

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by gldc, Jan 17, 2010.

1. gldc

gldc New Member

so i've heard that all the rooms have internet. is this wifi? can i bring my own laptop and ethernet cord? and does anyone know what the speeds are like... and if there was any maximum download allowance...

it's just that i download a lot of podcasts and I can't survive without them... :p :-\

Thanks!

2. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

It's wired in - bring your own laptop and cord, but you can buy a wireless router from Walmart cheaply... or hijack someone elses!
    Speed is sloooooooooooooooow though, I doubt you'd really be able to get podcasts (at a reasonable speed anyway!)
    I had a hard enough time just checking email sometimes! Some of my flatmates watched tv though (or was it a DVD?) - they were always on the internet!

To be honest though, personally I didn't really have much time for going on the internet - there was so much to do, and I'd rather be out than in the apartment all day!

I don't know if there's a download limit.
    xx

3. catfish278

catfish278 Member

yeah its really quite slow and obviously you cant get 4od or iplayer... but its good enough for checking email (and the Hub to find out what lovely shifts Disney have put you down for!! ;D)

4. jdavies

jdavies New Member

im planning on skypein' my friends and family while im out there. will this work or not then if the speeds are slow? hmmm...

5. Laura Jane

Laura Jane New Member

Hijack someone elses = YES! haha
    Gonna try track one down before i go this year though..
    The speed was pretty good at our one, i used skype quite a lot and it worked well majority of the time. Had the ocassional freeze screen, but it happens here at home as well!
    The first couple of weeks, we must have had someone in the apartment next to us who had an unsecure wireless box as we managed to just use theirs! Was quite good as we weren't all crowded round one table haha xx

6. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I didnt find the speed to be bad at all in my apartment, i bought some things of itunes and downloaded a podcast or two and it wasnt too bad, not as fast as back home. Hijacking worked for us for like 8 weeks of the time we were there until the people moved out, so no more wireless about the place :(

But take an ethernet cable, very helpful.

But i was rarely on my laptop, only when i went in at night and possibly in the morning before heading out, other than it i barely used it.

7. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I forgot about Skype - it only worked for us when the cable was in!
    And my flatmates were always on the internet... Chatham had ridiculousely small tables near the internet, and you'd fall over everyone when you came in, or needed the kitchen!
    I just found ours so slooooow - maybe it was broken....! ;)
    xx

8. debz

debz New Member

whats an ethernet cable?

9. captain_kylie

captain_kylie New Member

when i lived in chatham i managed to hijack someones wifi (~or if u live close enough to the office u can use theirs!

But in patterson it was all cables, but there was one behind my bed which was great!!!

xx

10. ariella

ariella New Member

I lived in Vista and relied on picking up other people's connections. I bought a router but for some reason it wouldn't work and neither did the ethernet cable so I don't know what was going on there lol.

11. Tink**

Tink** New Member

Take an ethernet cable for sure- from my experience the apts come with them, so you just gotta share with your roomies (this is what we did- we only had 2 cables that worked) unless you can pick up someone elses wifi unless they have it locked. There are also the office computer labs which work way faster if you are looking for getting things done quickly. But I do say bring your laptop- everyone I knew had theirs with them, just for practical purposes like photo uploads and skype and all that. The connections are kinda sucky if its a really busy time of day when everyone else is on, so webcams and skype might not work as well with the video streaming, but you can still talk just fine.