Going to America before the program

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by yay-disney, Apr 2, 2010.

1. yay-disney

yay-disney New Member

I'm going to New York in 2 weeks with my University. I was wondering if i needed to get a tourist visa or if i would be ok with my J1 visa. I'm hoping to not have too much trouble because i am coming back before my program starts but I'm not really sure what i need to do.

2. neevyweevy

neevyweevy New Member

You'll need to get the tourist visa, your J1 visa will be for the dates of your program and has different conditions, so this time it'll be just like when you normally go on holiday!

3. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Assuming you're from the UK, you won't need a visa at all, under the visa waiver program. If you're going with uni, I'd double check with them what's required though. Whoever is organising should know, and will tell you anything you need, like visas.

4. neevyweevy

neevyweevy New Member

Oh yeah, i forgot about the visa waiver thing!!

5. yay-disney

yay-disney New Member

I know i could get one of them but my J1 visa is already valid for some reason. It has valid from 11th March and Valid untill 6 Aug which is my last day. Thats why i was a bit puzzled coz it had already started.