For the love of Music!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by princess_shayna, Mar 2, 2009.

1. princess_shayna

princess_shayna New Member

Ok so in the 'Getting to know you' thread (which is fabulous by the way) there has been lots of talk of music! Soooo I thought it'd be kinda fun to start a thread about music! Since we're from all different places we all probably have heard of some different stuff and different bands so we can share, and talk about who we like/don't like etc! What do ya think???

I live for music! So I thought this would be fun!

Anyone for country? I love country, but i'm really into alternative, rock and random bands no one's ever heard of! lol!

So.. fave bands/solo artists? Good songs?

2. princess_shayna

ahaha I think the title of this thread is also someone's name on these boards! Random! It was just the first thing that came to my head! lol![color]

3. the_anarky_boy

the_anarky_boy New Member

I live for music. I play the drums/percussion, bass, guitar and keyboard and do a Music Technology course at uni. I also write and record my own music but I haven't done that much recently due to other priorities (ie. ICP and uni).

Asking me to choose a favourite band is like asking someone to choose their favouriote grain of sand in the sahara desert. I listen to punk, rock, ska, hip hop, reggae, dub, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, psychobilly, and some heavy metal and electronic music. I also listen to a lot of bands from Japan like the Polysics, LM.C, Oreskaband, Golbetty, Maximum the Hormone and FLOW to name a few.

But a few of my favourite artists are: Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Nightwish, Sonic Boom Six, Transplants, Big D and the Kids Table, the Clash, Johnny Cash, Wu-tang Clan, MC Lars, YTCracker. My hero is Travis Barker of Blink-182/Boxcar Racer/Transplants/+44/so many other acts fame.

Everyone on these boards must listen to FantasMic by Nightwish. The name alone gives away the reason, but the opening lyric is "Wish upon a star" and it contains a sample from Beauty and the Beast.

On the subject of music, if anyone on here is planning on trying to get to The Warped Tour or the Rise Against/Rancid/Billy Talent gig at the House of Blues in July, please tell me. I don't want to have to go alone.

4. forloveofmusic

forloveofmusic New Member

haha that would be me... I've had this username for a buncha things so long I don't even remember where I got it from lol

anarky_boy, check out this thread, you might like: http://www.wdwip.com/smf/index.php?topic=6578.0

My parents listened to mostly hair bands/80s rock and so that kind of thing is like in my blood. So when I was a kid I listened to a lot of Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Queen, Poison, etc... and still listen to them all the time. My parents didn't really listen to them back then but in the last few years I have fallen in absolute love with Motley Crue and saw them last summer... Tied for the best concert I've seen in my life. They are absolutely amazing.

In addition to 80s bands, I listen to a lot of metal/hard rock... I'm pretty open musically and generally if it's got a good guitar riff I'll like it. For some reason I listen to a lot of bands from Finland. There's something in the water there... they all make cool music and are drop dead gorgeous.
    Some favorites are Children of Bodom (#1 ;D ), Pain, Apocalyptica (they're the ones tied with Crue for the best live show), Bullet For My Valentine, In Flames, Slipknot, Lacuna Coil, Avenged Sevenfold, Muse, Marilyn Manson, Entwine, Nightwish, Uniklubi, Negative, Private Line, HIM... I can go on and on lol

You mentioned country and I will admit there are 2 songs I really enjoy, and they're Big & Rich's "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" (with a name like that, whats not to like) and Gretchen Wilson's "I'm Here for the Party".

I've also always had this weird thing for cover songs lol I just love when a band takes a song that's completely different from their style and puts their own twist on it. My recommendations are "Alone" by Warmen (Heart), "Wicked Game" by HIM (Chris Isaak), "Edge of Seventeen" by Jonas (Stevie Nicks), "Eleanor Rigby" by Pain (The Beatles) and of course, one of my alltime faves, "Tainted Love" by Marilyn Manson (Softcell).

5. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

mega props on that!
    and as for country it's alright to listen to, and i have a few country albums which are probably more 'pop country' such as rascal flatts and taylor swift

if anyone has last.fm, check out my page (http://www.last.fm/user/MattSource5) for a good idea of what i listen to. the main stuff i've been listening to for a while is pop-punk with some hardcore influences (e.g. new found glory, set your goals, four year strong and the lesser well known stuff). but i also like ska, pop, hardcore, 'emo' (not the biggest fan of that term) and pretty much a few bits of lots and lots of genre. but yeah, my last.fm gives a better idea :)

EDIT: i forgot to mention stuff like the early november, ace enders and a million different people and all that (non-jazz) jazz

6. hen87hels

hen87hels New Member

I'm a complete chart music whore! I love singing along to radio 1 on the way home from work! But I also like some proper dance music, some of the more weird dance even like Faithless ("I want more" by Faithless is one of my all time favourite songs.... and its nothing AT ALL to do with a scene in Smallville where Lex Luthor listens to it... And I do not love Prelude 12/21 by AFI for that reason either........ 8)) "alternative" stuff like MB20, Dashboard, Goo Goo Dolls etc. etc... classic rock (Queen <3), 80's music, old 40's music, some random shizzle like Bobby Darin, 90's stuff (nostalgia) and looooooads more!! Very eclectic....! x

7. hen87hels

hen87hels New Member

8. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

Smallville have a great choice in music, that show got me really into Switchfoot. Neeeeearly as good as the music in Supernatural.

9. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

I like pretty much everything, but the genres that top my list are musical and Disney! I'll listen to any musical, and couldn't possibly pick a favourite composer (though I am partial to Stephen Schwartz's pop rock musicals, aka Wicked and Children of Eden), but my favourite musical is Joseph.

As for Disney, love it all! My favourite song is Remember the Magic sung by Brian McKnight. Tres awesome.

10. princess_shayna

awee I love that song!!

11. Cicada

Cicada New Member

I'm similar to Louisa... I'll listen to everything but don't really know who is singing what. But I have a big collection of musicals. I can't pick a favourite musical, Les Mis is up there. But Joseph is amazing and I'd love to play the narrator! And I also love anything Disney and I'm hoping to make that collection bigger

12. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I'll go, that sounds really interesting Roddy.

Well i like so many types of music, i am trained in classical singing, which i love. I miss my singing lessons so much and i am highly considering returning to them, that is if i can get my old teacher back. At the moment i keep listening to Miley Cyrus and Nickelback, thats the fascination at the moment and then there is the Fantasia soundtrack, im a sucker for orchestral music.

I would love to produce my own music, i couldnt live without music, i enjoy playing the piano whenever i get to one, sadly i dont have one of my own :(

I have around 240 disney songs i think, hehe. Probably more, i love disney music, something about it makes it so unique and in a genre of its own.

13. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

I listen to stuff ranging from Lil Wayne to Amy Winehouse to Pendulum to Jamie Cullum! A bit random really, I guess mostly hiphop with some UK alternative and drum n bass

14. Janey

Janey New Member

Ooh, ooh, music!!! I just love it. I can't play anything and I absolutely can NOT sing at all although I do all the time. :D (Good thing I live on my own. :D) I'm pretty much into all music. It depends on my mood what I listen the most but I do prefer pop, rock and pop rock. To mention a few artist I'd sayyy... Britney Spears for sure, David Cook, Paramore, The Scorpions, The Giant Leap, The Rasmus, Nightwish, Simple Plan.. Just to mention a few. And obvs I love Disney music!! ♥

15. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

ahhh simple plan, one of my guilty pleasures :D

16. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Simple plan are amazing!

17. forloveofmusic

YA! How can I forget The Scorpions... they were AMAZING.

Hehe Matt and I have already discussed Simple Plan... my hometown boys :) They're nice guys. At least they were before they were majorly famous lol The last time I met them was like... back in high school I think, which would be about 7 years ago now :-X Fame and money may have gotten to them by now...

18. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Awww, thats crap. so you have met them then?

19. forloveofmusic

Yup, twice for sure but there may have been a third time that I don't rememeber as it was a long time ago lol...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1433720&l=c7365&id=500318411
    That one was from 2001, before they were anybody at all. So we had a good convo with David and I think Chuck came around as well at one point. They gave us their demo/EP/whatever you wanna call it, since not even their first full-length album was out yet.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1433723&l=626ed&id=500318411
    This one is a bit later, in 2002, so they had their album out and were more famous then so we couldn't really talk to them that time on account of screaming little girls.

20. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

ah fame, can be a bit annoying sometimes. still, i like the fact no one could ever say they've sold out, because they've always played catchy pop-punk. good lads :)