DRESS AND LIVING IN DISNEY DORM!!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by Maree, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Maree

Maree New Member

I'm a girl and I heard I have to prepare a formal dress for party and
    also there are some rules of clothes when I attend classes.
    Because in my country, there are no cultures which are related with party,
    like wearing a dress or formal suit, I don't know what kind of dress
    do I have to buy, and also how many do I have to buy.
    What style of clothes do I have to prepare before I arrive in Disney?
    Do I have to wear a formal suit when I attend classes?
    What kinds of clothes you guys wear when you guys attend classes?
    White shirts and black skirts or pants?
    And also what kinds of shoes when cast members work in theme park?

And how's internet access in disney dorm, and
    how much cost when I use a washing machine?
    Do I have to buy a router?

And I want to know whether there is a lunch time while I'm working, and
    usually you guys how to prepare every meals in dorm, like buying and cooking foods.

Also, I wear glasses, do I have to prepare one more in advance?
    and what about sunglasses?
    I'm wondering that whether I have to buy sunglasses or not, because
    I heard because of the sunlight, sometimes people feel uncomfortable or hurt with their eyes.

And how about bank account?
    I'll open a new bank account in NY, and the bank might be a local bank which
    is in a town of NY that I'll stay for 3months.
    Can I use that bank account in disney for receiving paychecks every week, too?
    If I use that in disney, do I have to pay some money when I use ATM machine in Oralando?
    Which one will be better?
    Using a bank account of NY in disney, too or removing a bank account of NY and
    making new one in orlando, (I mean, in disney)?

How's the weather in orlando, especially in summer and fall and winter.
    Because I have to stay in NY from Sep. 14th to December 4th,
    I wonder how many and, what kinds of clothes do I have to pack in my country.

So sorry for asking a lot of questions,
    however, I hope I can see some replies :)

And all replies will be very helpful before I move to disney.

HAVE A NICE DAY :)

2. Formal address: basically you need either smart trousers (black, brown, gray etc) or smart skirt/dress. If you are wearing smart trousers or skirt you are best wearing a blouse or shirt. In terms of shoes they are best being black or at least matching what you are wearing. If you wear a dress or skirt you also need to wear tights/pantyhose. When you are working in the theme park what shoes you will need to wear is totally dependent on your role. In most roles you will be wearing black shoes or trainers.

Internet access: I found the internet quite good in my apartment. I didn't have broadband so my laptop in the main room. Some apartments do have broadband though.

Washing machines: I think they cost $1 per wash and another $1 per dryer.

Lunch: Whether you have a lunch break depends on how long your shift is. If you work 6 hrs or less then you will only get 15 minutes but if you work more than that you will get 45 minutes. I think by law you are meant to have at least 15 minutes break per 4 hrs working.

Glasses: I you're glasses are a neutral colour then you won't need to change them. In terms of sunglasses, I would say it is better to have a pair simply because the sun is extremely strong and can damage your eyes.

Bank account: I didn't open a bank account because I was only there for 3 months. Instead I just cashed my cheques. When you get to Disney you will attend a meeting about the different banks and the benefits they provide.

Weather: Summer in Orlando is very hot and can reach 100-110 F with humidity around 90%. To be honest I'm not too sure what the weather is like during the rest of the year. The temperature stays quite high (well in my opinion quite high) but the humidity makes it feel a little bit cooler. In terms of clothes I would bring shorts/ skirts and t-shirts for the summer and then for the rest of the year some warmer clothes maybe trousers, long skirts and some jumpers. If you find you don't have the right clothes there are plenty of clothes shops near the complexes where you can buy more clothes.

Hope that helps, and have a magical day.

3. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Just to say, every location has different breaks but 15 minutes per 4 hours is the basic.

For now they give out paychek accounts, well that was for the summer people, i think it is the same with everyone now, just so you do not have to wait to go to the bank and all that, you just register on the phone and that is you sorted.

Ye, as whereyourdreamscometrue said it is best to buy a pair of sunglasses.

4. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I did ICP '08 and was unable to open a bank account because it wouldn't have made much sense, only being there for ten weeks. Instead I took my paycheques to Walmart or CashMart and got them paid out. They do it for next to nothing. You can also go to Partners and get it exchanged for cash without having to open an account.

I knew I wanted to go to Disney way in advance, so I had purchased neutral framed glasses the year before. I also purchased prescription sunglasses so that I had them. I worked outside, so having sunglasses was a must!

Bring a loose long sleeve that you can roll up really small for the bus! The busses are so cold!

5. johncoths

johncoths New Member

I guess if you'll stay in New York for 3 months then you might better open a bank account on a local bank in town of New York.

6. debz

debz New Member

when i worked in spain i had to pay to get a debit card pay 4 statements etc and to close the account aswell, is it the same in the usa or is it like the uk wer u get it al for free??

jus wondering is it better to just cash in the cheques and pay the fee or get the account??

7. leomgray

leomgray New Member

This year they changed everything, everyone is just giving an account automatically, i think it is because it makes things easier. We just got handed our card and told to register it on the tuesday and that was it! I havent closed my account, there is money in it but really not a lot. You do get charged for using cash machines but if you get cash back in a supermarket there is no charge, it is really weird. You get to do one thing each week free and if you do it more than once then you get charged. Paying with a card is so much easier in america than it is in the UK, you rarely have to use a pin, just signture more of the time. x