Disney's Hilton Head Resort?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by kerriejordan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

Just wondering if anyone got accepted to work in the Hilton Head Resort and thought of checking here? lol

2. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member

Hi Kerrie, congrats. I worked there last summer. Any questions you have, do not hesitate to ask :)

3. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

Oh my! I've loadsa questions! I feel a bit in the dark haha.
    Mainly, is there much to do on the island/is is easy to get to places like Savannah?
    Did you come from the UK?

Tell me all! haha :)

4. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member

Yes I'm from the UK, are you?

There isn't any public transport on the island but you will make friends with lots of nice americans who work at the resort who can drive you to places like Savannah and to the shopping outlets which are just off the island. But on the island itself, you can cycle round and disney will give you a bike. It's an easy 15 minute ride from the accommodation to work, and they also provide a shuttle if you don't want to cycle.

The island's really relaxing, the beaches are amazing. I spent a lot of evenings eating out as there are so many restaurants to choose from. There is a nice shopping plaza too and good bars for the evenings, if you're 21? You'll have the chance to go down to Disney World too and benefit from free entry to the parks, 50% discount on hotels etc!

5. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

You just answered all my major questions haha.
    I was wondering about the discount/free entry!
    I wonder if i could use the 50% discount for family lol.

Are treated exactly like the other icp people? Like should i expect like a welcome pack?
    And the reason I asked if you were from the UK is because i was wondering about an approximate price of getting there. At our interviews we were given a price list to sign which said going to Florida would be approx £800, i have a feeling it'll cost more for the Hilton Head?
    Im so happy i found someone who had done this before, because my nerves would have been wrecked otherwise haha.

6. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member

Yes you can use the 50% discount for your family and we were given a 'maingate pass' which gets friends and family into the parks for free on a certain number of occasions. I went down to Florida on two weekends and then spent a week there at the end of the summer as I have friends who live there.

You're treated slightly differently to the other icp people - don't worry if your welcome information doesn't come at the same time as everybody else's, they process things a bit later for the summer interns at Hilton Head and you will be dealing directly with the resort rather than disney international programs. You will get a welcome email with lots of information in it but I don't think I got mine until early May. The HR team at the resort are lovely and so so helpful. A good thing is that they provide you with a basket of welcome stuff (bedding, pillow, food etc) on arrival which they don't do in Orlando!

It isn't too much more expensive than going to Florida (I've done two icps there too), I'd say it's about the same. You have to pay a bigger housing deposit but you do get most of it back at the end. You'll be able to save much more money when you're there than if you were working in Orlando, as the beach is free! I found that when I worked in Orlando I spent so much money on my days off than I did at Hilton Head.

7. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

Oh my goodness, the more you say the more i get excited!
    One more, although i think i already know the answer. We still share a room with someone else, right?

8. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member

Yes you do, but it might not be somebody working for Disney. Lots of the Disney people shared, but I shared with people working at other resorts.

9. jack_1992

jack_1992 New Member

I'm not going to HH but to Orlando but I just wanted to say you're extremely lucky to work there.

The reason I say this is the place is absolutely beautiful. The beach, the resort, the area are all amazing. We are DVC members and this is pretty exclusive to DVC members so you'll get used to hearing the phrase 'Welcome Home' You will love it though! Its beautiful.

10. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

Im hoping you're still on here haha.
    I have a question, where do we live? haha, like does the place have a name?

11. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member