Custodial

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by rachelches, Jun 4, 2011.

1. rachelches

rachelches New Member

Hi!

Im new to this forum so just having a look around and considering applying for summer next year! :)

I was just wondering about the custodial role, it sounds pretty fun as I like the idea of having the freedom to move around a bit- the only thing is the shifts seem pretty intense? :S

How do they work the shifts out? I know your guaranteed at least 30 hours a week but can they be any time? Does the custodial involve loads of night late/early shifts or craaaazily long ones?

Any help would be appreciated! :)
    Thanks!
    Rach x

2. TalkingDug

TalkingDug Member

Hey, everybody I know who has done Custodial has had a great time as like you say, there is the freedom to move around, speak to lots of guests, as well as being in the midst of the theme park atmosphere with parades, fireworks etc to watch while you're doing your work!

The shifts can be any time - there are custodial cast members around the parks and resorts at all times of day. I'm not sure how long the average shift is, but I do know that there can be some late nights as some nights, the parks can close at 2.30am.

Hope this helps!

3. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

I recommend reading this blog. http://disneyspike.blogspot.com/ It's by a Canadian ICP who's in custodial at the moment and seems to explain the role pretty well.

4. kate003

kate003 New Member

A friend of mine has done 2 CRPs in Canada and a Custodial ICP and she LOVED Custodial! She worked in the Magic Kingdom, and said you have to stop and watch the parades and fireworks, and guests always like to chat with you :)

5. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Dont let the threat of long and varied hours put you off the role if you think its the role for you. Any role on the ICP can have long and varied hours. Your shift in any role could be at any time the parks are open, and as someone else has said, sometimes the parks stay open until 3am, so you may have to stay if you are in merch, or food and beverage etc, because the park must still run as it does during the day! 8)

6. DisneySpike

DisneySpike New Member

Hey
    So i just finished up ICP 2011. I was custodial at MK. (that's my blog that was suggested up there). Yes there are long crazy hours sometimes but often I only worked 8 hour shifts. Some shifts did go until 4am but I know other people who were QSFB or Merch that worked until 5 or 6am. It varies based on park/resort demand and role. Custodial on average stay at the park anywhere from 15mins after close to 1 hour which isn't bad.
    Custodial is honestly one of the best jobs because it's mostly just talking to geusts there are some days like the 4th of July that you are swamped but you build such a close group of friends that everyone helps each other out. As well as far as cleaning and such go I hate cleaning and I suck at it but the custodial job doesn't actually require as much cleaning as you'd think mostly just maintaining things.

7. gingerbuzz

gingerbuzz New Member

I would like to do Custodial if i get accepted this year... I was wondering if you were able to request where or a better quewstion do you know where other custodial ICPers were placed this year?

8. DisneySpike

DisneySpike New Member

You cannot request the entire process including job is decided by higher powers. I and one other Canadian were put in MK, a couple were at Blizzard Beach, Hollywood Studios, Epcot, a few resorts.. really we were put everywhere. The great thing about custodial though is that we're universal (so are character attendants) you can pick up a shift at any park or resort which is cool. I never did as I had more than enough hours at MK.