college vs university?

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by SteffieDavis, Oct 20, 2011.

1. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

Hey guys, i've done the summer program twice and am heading down in 8 days (!!) for the cultural rep program, and like everyone who has done a program i talk about it. a lot. so much that my cousi decided to apply, but today she heard back that she is ineligible because she is at algonquin college and therefore not she doesnt meet the qualifications because she "must be studying full time at a 3-4 year accredited university in Canada for Bachelors degree during the 2011-12 academic year. "

Is this a new thing? I thought college students could apply to the international COLLEGE program?? Aren't the majority of hospitality and programs that it would coincide with disney at colleges, not university? I'm confused!

I feel bad, cuz i definitely influenced her wanting to apply and got her all pumped for it and she doesn't even get a chance to interview for it!

2. CanadianCole

CanadianCole New Member

I had the same trouble. I'm in a college so I'll only be receiving a diploma when I graduate (which is complete BS in my opinion, but anyway) and I tried to get into the college program only to be turned away. In the US, college seems to be the same as university. They all get degrees down there, unless it's a community college, I guess. My friend is in the international college exchange program because her college (St. Clair) has some sort of tie in with a Michigan university which makes her eligible. It's very weird, and unfair in my opinion. I've been through two full-time years of college, so I think I deserve some kind of credit even if it isn't a degree. :(

3. I don't know how it works in Canada, but in England College and University aren't the same thing where as in the US they are. Over here we go to college first before carrying onto University. In the US they go straight to college/university from high school.

4. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

In the US college is the same as university - I believe the reasoning is they can only call it university if there is an advanced degree program (Like getting a masters or PHD). Community colleges (or Jr. Colleges in the US) are like our Colleges. But aren't community college people allowed to do the regular college program? Regardless, maybe it has to do with visa restrictions or something else for the ICP.

I had a friend at Alqonquin who studied travel/tourism. I think they even have a specific course on Disney. She wanted to do the ICP but couldn't - so she ended up doing the CRP after she graduated. Maybe your cousin can apply for the CRP after she has graduated.