CANADIAN...EH!?

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by michelle.e., Aug 16, 2009.

1. michelle.e.

michelle.e. New Member

Hey Everyone,
    Im interested in knowing how many Canadians are out there applying! :D Anyone from the Toronto-London region? Is there any Canadians out there who have already heard about their F2F interview?

2. Brittany.McGuire

Brittany.McGuire New Member

I'm from Kitchener :)

3. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

I'm canadian! Originally from Ottawa but going to Queen's in Kingston now. havent had a phone interview yet :S Last time I went through this a bunch of us met up after our f2f interviews for dinner, we should organize something like that again, once we know that we have an interview and when and where they are!

4. Brittany.McGuire

that would be cool:) i really hope i make it that far:)
    so youve already done the ICP right?
    how was it?
    what role did you get?

5. michelle.e.

michelle.e. New Member

That does sound like a great idea.. im from london! :) can't wait to find out about the F2F!! :)

6. merfsko

merfsko New Member

Toronto-area here!

I have my phone interview tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

7. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

Hey Brittany, I went in 2008 (last summer) as a character performer and had an amazing experience! It was truly magical :)

8. Brittany.McGuire

That's so cool!
    I bet you had an amazzzing time!!!!
    I really wanna be a character, but my friends keep telling me that its too hot, and why don't i do attractions or something... but being a character would be the best thing ever!
    I'm 5 feet 2-3 inches... is that a good height for characters or bad?
    Are you going to try for a character again this year, or are you thinking of doing something different?
    And also, I've heard that you have to audition, what does that entail?

sorry for all the q's but i really appreciate your help :)

9. michelle.e.

michelle.e. New Member

I'm 4'10 and was hoping that i might be a good candidate for all of the short characters (snow whites dwarfs, mickey/minnie, one of the chipmunks, etc) lol... but like you said, the only thing that concerns me would be the heat!! I dont know how I would like to work all day in a big fuzzy/hot costume! I may be applying for merchandise.. i have tones of experience already lol.. and its air conditioned :) ... also.. Steffie, did you like being a character.. which one were you?? tell us about it! :)

10. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

I'm 4'11, short or tall is best for characters! 4'10-11 is mouse/duck height (I was stitch, lilo, marie, daisy, minnie, mickey and meeko... also could have been jiminy cricket but was disapproved b/c of boobs and, 5'2-3 would be pooh/munk height i think (i dont have my manual in front of me) I have a blog thats pretty detailed if you're interested, i think the link is under my name over there <<... I looooved being a character.. it is hot and it isnt for everybody but honestly i had the time of my life. I do think i wanna go back as entertainment-- the only thing bad about it (and it isnt reallly bad) was that since we are global and work shifts all over, there isnt the same bonding with the people you work with because you are working with different people all the time. it's still a good little community but not the same as working in the same store or restaurant everyday. That being said, it's amazing to have worked in every park and almost every resort, and to have made so many friends, just not as many close ones (at work) as i would have liked. But thats what room mates and people at vista way are for :p lol ramble much?
    About actually being a character, you work 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off most times (if you're outside) or 45 minutes on 45 minutes off if you are inside. I found the heat to be less of a problem than i expected it to be. Your body gets used to it, you lose a lot of weight and you become used to sweating lol.
    The audition happens when you get to orlando, it is pretty basic... all of the icp characters go together to an open call audition, but all the normal people have numbers on their chests and we get letters (because we are special...) There is a short dance sequence (really basic) and then an animation segment where they give you a scenario and you mime it out. You find out right away if you passed, everyone my year did. The next day you start training. I was really worried about not passing, but everytime i asked what would happen if i didnt they wouldnt give me an answer... i think most people pass, because we are pre-screened and everything.
    lemme know if you have any other questions, i love talking about it :)

11. Brittany.McGuire

wow.
    being a character sounds like it'd be so much fun:)
    thanks for all the info on it:)

just one more question though, i know you said that short or tall is best for characters, so since im 5'2-3" would i still have a good chance at getting character, or not?

12. michelle.e.

michelle.e. New Member

thanks for the info! I, too, have one more question! What exactly do you do during your "off" time? do you get paid for it?

13. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

mostly when you are off set you take off your costume and relax in the airconditioning and drink a lot of (free for characters)lemon lime powerade. Usually other characters will be off set with you and you chill watching movies and daytime television. It's fun. Yes you get paid for it :) except for your unpaid lunch break, but every role has those.

Brittany, you can try, they do hire in between heights as well it's just a smaller chance. but if you put it at the top of your preferences, show that you have dance and/or drama experience and really want it then you might have a shot. just make sure you are open to other roles as well.

14. Meg

Meg Guest