Bringing Laptop..?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by lozamungo, Jan 19, 2010.

1. lozamungo

lozamungo New Member

Helllloooo!!

Just a quicky because I just thought about it... I'm going over from 2nd May as part of my Work Based Learning for a uni module, so we will have to write an essay whilst out there... lucky me eh?! Alsooooo, my camera is naff for memory, soooo will people be taking laptops with them to put pictures up and do work or whatever, or just try and use the ones provided? Because it will take up a bit of room in suitcase or whatever and could break etc etc etc. I just don't knooooow!! lol

Any ideas??? Cheeeeeeeeeeeeers!! :) xx

2. catfish278

catfish278 Member

When I went over I just took my laptop as hand luggage :) I bought a back pack adapted to carry a laptop which was quite cheap and good padding for the computer so it didnt break!

3. kandicombo

kandicombo New Member

I'm gonna be taking my laptop with me hun coz I take so many photos and because we have to write that essay while we are there. BA lets us take one piece of hand luggage AND a laptop bags aswell so you don't have to put it in your suitcase. When you see me at Gatwick i'm gonna be weighed down with my hand luggage and my laptop lol i'm gonna look like a packhorse xx

4. lozamungo

lozamungo New Member

hahaa ahh okie thanks!!! Ok i'll bring it then, even though it is naff and is possibly the loudtes laptop in the world!

103 dayssssssssss :) ooooh i have a countdown calendar here, sad eh?! xx

5. KirstyB

KirstyB New Member

I think since the failed attack on xmas day that visitors travelling to the US on BA can only carry one piece of hand luggage... I seem to remember reading it on BA's website... although I hope it isn't the case because id prefer to carry my laptop seperately!

I may have to invest in one of those bags that you're talking about :)

6. kandicombo

kandicombo New Member

Just been on the BA website the policy has changed,at the moment we can only take on piece of hand luggage on the flight unless we are in first class. Hope this changes before May because I really don't want to put my laptop in my suitcase. Damn terrorists!

7. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

I definitely wouldn't put your laptop in your suitcase! They really chuck the cases around when they load the plane. Get a bag big enough to put your laptop bag inside to use as your hand luggage - they might not even say anything coz your laptop has to be scanned separately going through security anyway.

8. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

You can get laptop sleeves that protect them pretty well in a normal bag (as long as you don't drop them!), so you can take a normal bag. And they're not too expensive! :)
    Don't put laptop in your suitcase - the hold isn't heated and it can break the screens, especially LCD ones!
    Laptops are awesome :)
    xx

9. kandicombo

kandicombo New Member

oooo I'll have a look at getting one of those laptop sleeve thingys lol. I defo won't put the laptop in my suitcase then although I will probs drop it before I leave my house on the day I leave lol I'm so clumsy!!!

10. nix123

nix123 New Member

im DEFINATELY taking my laptop with me, i dont go anywhere without it lol. Plus im one of those that takes millions and millions of photos hahahahahha

if we can take it on as extra hand luggage that would be brilliant, coz i hadn't thought about the temperature thing in the baggage hold!! i was just planning on sandwiching it between all my clothes in my suitcase!

xx

11. lowrigokarts

lowrigokarts New Member

Problem i have is i have a 17.5" laptop and dont want to break it in the suitcase. and i cant carry it as a hand luggage as i wont have room for anything else. So i think ill be swaping my laptop with my bf for 3 months. hes got them small ones which will fit lovely in my hand luggage. ;)

12. Sofi

Sofi Guest

im just gunna take my laptop in a laptop bag, what do u need in ur hand luggage anyway? il just stick my ipod in the bag and purse =] sorted! x

13. debz

debz New Member

wunt leave home without my laptop with its movies music and 4 all the fotos

14. lowrigokarts

lowrigokarts New Member

i just know my self. ill have way too much stuff in my hand luggage. anything to keep me amused

15. Disney Jess

Disney Jess New Member

Deffinately don't put laptops in the hold and stuff, they'll break.

I took mine last year.I took a backpack which had a little pocket for a laptop in....but when i got to the airport the lady told me i had to take my laptop out of the bag,as if it fell on someones head..but she gave me a little virgin canvas bacg to put it in...
    but once you're through you can jsut put it safely in your bag.

i'm not too sure about the policies etc now...does anyone know what Virgin say about bags/laptop bags now? are you only allowed to take one?x

16. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Thats odd, I had to take mine out of the backpack to go through x ray but after that it could go back in the bag, maybe they have changed the rules... oh, and apparently its only one piece of hand luggage and one piece of hold luggage... meh.

17. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Some of thge check-in people tell you to take it out of your hand luggage as it makes it too heavy - my dad had that once!
    Virgin only allow one piece of hand luggage... although you can check in more at the gate for free (shhh!) - you have to get it past them before though! Oddly - it goes by what you're carrying... it used to be a bag and a personal item - e.g. a coat, handbag etc. - but if you wore the coat you could have another one... sometimes it's quite easy to dodge the rules!

And I don't think the bag has to close... so if you had two and put one in the other, even if it didn't close it would probably be OK - but I think the minimum amount of hand luggage you can take is best... it's less to lug around Orlando when you're tired!
    xx

18. Tink**

Tink** New Member

If you can only take on carry on luggage, take a backpack. Everything fits in there! Purses, wallets, and yes, laptop cases. This is what I did and it worked perfectly fine!

19. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

On a practical level many insurance companies won't cover your laptop if it is damaged/stolen if you put it in your checked baggage.

20. Sofi

Sofi Guest

hey guys can i ask a quick question,

if u put ur laptop in a laptop bag or rucksack is it too big for hand luggage? im not fussed about how many bags we can take because i can fit my stuff in a bag with my laptop, but will they deffo let u on with it without paying extra? cos its quite big and heavy x