Bank Accounts

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by jameshamuk, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jameshamuk

jameshamuk New Member

Am I right in thinking that when we get there, there is already an account and debit card waiting for us from Disney's bank?

Or am I totally wrong?

2. ariella

ariella New Member

During your first two days there you attend sessions and one of them is on banking. This past summer they took care of setting up accounts for us so you never had to worry about cashing a cheque or anything, it was all direct deposit. Plus you got paid once a week which was awesome, I hated having to go back to being paid once every two weeks when I returned back home.

Your last two paycheques are not direct deposit though since it's so close to you leaving the country, and you'll pick them up at the Commons when you hand in your Housing ID.

3. jameshamuk

jameshamuk New Member

hey thanks for the info.

so do you get a debit card like ours in the UK where we can use them in shops etc or will it be one of those crappy ATM cards?

4. ariella

ariella New Member

It's a debit/visa card. So you can use it to take money out of an ATM or to charge purchases to. However, only take money out of it once a week because they only allow you to do one withdrawal per week and then they charge you. You do have unlimited transactions though.

The card is pretty nice and a souvenir too since it has a picture of the casting building on it :).

5. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Actually, for the 21st June lot, our last paycheck was put on the card.
    It works around the world - and you are charged for every transaction after the first one a week. Lots of ATMs charge for use as well.
    Money can stay on there though, there's no fee for that, I've still got about $20 on mine.

So convenient though, means you don't need cash - it can fit in your housing ID lanyard as well, so you don't even need a bag!
    xx

6. ariella

ariella New Member

Katie-Ahh so jealous you got your last paycheck on the card! It was such a hassle just to cash those last two cheques because they made me close down my account and then charged me like $10 to cash my cheques. Me and my roomie were in the bank for nearly 30 minutes just trying to get it all sorted out lol. I didn't want to risk trying to cash the cheques back home in Canada and plus I needed the money to go souvenir shopping on my last day :D Kinda weird how you got your last one on your card but we didn't lol. I still have $5 on mine, I'm using it as motivation to go back to Disney on vacation haha!

7. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

For any Canadians out there, RBC is a viable choice if you have financial things to deal with in Canada. I'm in the midst of setting it up right now, but it's pretty convenient and they actually have branches in Orlando.