Applying from Australia in 2011

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by ashkimo, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ashkimo

ashkimo New Member

So I'm currently in my 3rd year of university at Monash in Melbourne and I have one year to go! I am thinking about applying for the program to go in either 2011 or 2012 but I'm kind of skeptical about leaving everyone behind for 3 or so months!

I'm easily used to working hard and crazy hours - I manage a Boost Juice when I'm not at uni and before that I worked at a restaurant!

What does everyone think? What are the big positives/negatives to the trip?

xx

2. kimmiedancer

kimmiedancer New Member

Hi there :)

I'm a NZer and our prgramme (NZ and Aussies) is joined. We actually don't have a 3 month programme, it's a 6 or 12 month option.

I am doing it because it'll be a great experience. It is a lot of set up costs - like plane ticket, visa etc, but I think the experience will be amazing, and look great on your CV.

There's a tonne of staff discounts and you get into the 4 non water parks for free. Also you are in the centre of like themepark paradise - theres the 4 busch gardens ones in Tampa, the 2 universal ones (in new Harry Potter park) as well as the 6 disney parks! There will lots of people in the same boat as you so you'll have lots of support, plus it's a lot easier to get to work in the USA through a programme like this than another one.
    The rent includes everything like internet and electricity, pool, gym which makes it really cheap! It's a pretty good deal. You'll get to be more independent and you're gonna be leaving home eventually at some point, so why not make it awesome?
    PLUS there HEAPS of fun and exciting people to meet and places to go! Think how cultured you'll be after?

Although the work will be tiring (I too have had a few jobs in customer services) it has its benefits. Plus ou know you'll only be doing it for a certain amount of time and that you're helping make people's day in the "happiest place on earth". What could be more stimulating or rewarding?

It'll be an adventure and you only live once, why not try it!? ;)

3. Sarz

Sarz New Member

Hi!
    I'm also from Australia! I'm in my third (and last!) year of uni at the University of Melbourne! I just had my phone interview and am hoping to go in Jan 2011! I hope it went ok :S
    It sounds like such an amazing opportunity!!

4. vbiles

vbiles New Member

Hi,

I am currently in the process of filling out all of the forms that were sent to us. I am very excited. does anyone know what the question about us submitting verification on our legal rights in the united states means? a bit confused!

I am going for the 2011 start too. so hopefully see you there!

5. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

Hi,

I know no one has replied to this in a while but I was just wondering if there is a date that applicants need to apply by? I'm from Australia. I really want to go in Feb 2011 but is it too late? Also how was the phone interview?

6. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Hey Keri
    The January intake for 2011 is pretty much full. The only position still available (about 2 weeks ago) was life guard.
    The July 2011 intake is pretty much fully open though.
    I've just been accepted and will get my role offers in the next 2 weeks :D!
    I didn't have a phone interview, just had a face to face interview on the day of the Disney Presentation.
    The lady that we interviewed with, Jeni, was super nice, and it wasn't like having an interview at all, more like having a friendly conversation about why you liked Disney, and why you wanted to work there.
    I know that all the presentation / interview days have been completed but if you email STB Pacific they'll definitely be able to help you!
    Good luck and let us know how you go :D!

7. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

Hi Mitchell,

I received an email back from stbpacific yesterday and they said pretty much the same thing as you so now I'm hoping to be accepted into the July 2011 12 month program. I just have to get my passport in the mail and I'm set to apply. How long after you applied did you hear back about going to the presentation/interview? I'm very excited and hopefully I get my application in on time...and get accepted! lol ;D

Thanks for replying :)

8. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Hey Keri,
    Glad to hear STB got back to you :)!
    I actually heard about the presentation / interview first, so I didn't actually have much to do with STB until after my interview had already taken place.
    But they let me know exactly 2 weeks after my interview that I had been accepted.
    The STB team are great, and will help you out as much as they possibly can to get you in to the July 2011 12 month program :D!
    I'm sure you will make it in :)!
    If you have any questions at all don't be afraid to send STB an email. That's what they're there for :)!
    Cheers,
    Mitchell.

9. Ka_disney

Ka_disney New Member

Hi I am from NZ and I am about to have my interview next week!
    I want to apply for Character performer but it says that i have to pass audition.
    Does anyone know what happen if I already go all the way to Orlando and didn't pass the audition?
    Would I be able to work else where?

Oh and also does anyone know what kinda discount do we get? Does our family and friends get to go to the theme parks for free?

xx, Karina

10. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Hey Karina :)!
    Good luck with your interview :D!
    I'm not sure about the performer roles. I'm sure STB would be able to give you information on that if you contact them.

As for the discount, it changes from year to year, but these were the figures we were given at the information session:

20% on Disney Merchandise and at selected Disney Restaurants
    40-60% on Disney Hotels
    80% on the Disney Cruise Line.

As for family and friends getting in for free. Yes, we can let in family and friends for free, but there is a limit but I can't remember what it is at the moment. When I get more information I will definitely let you know :). I think it was something like 6 people twice a year, so basically you can let a total of 12 friends and family in through your program for 1 day. Don't quote me on that though, I could be completely off.

Cheers,
    Mitchell.

11. Ka_disney

Ka_disney New Member

Thanks for that Mitch!
    I am now waiting to hear back from STB whether I get the job or not! I am so nervous but excited at the same time :D
    xx Karina

12. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

Hi,

Good luck :) I'm just wondering how long after you applied did STB get back to you? I sent through all my forms 8 days ago and still haven't heard anything :s

13. Ka_disney

Ka_disney New Member

took about 2 weeks for them to get back to me i think :)

14. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Make sure to let us know how you go :D!

15. NZ_Jess

NZ_Jess New Member

Hope you guys get in!
    If youre going in July join our thread at http://www.wdwip.com/smf/index.php?topic=8296.0 so we can all get to know each other.. theres a facebook group for the July 2011 intake as well, it'd be great to know others going!

16. Ka_disney

Ka_disney New Member

I will be working at the quick food and beverage services. I kinda want to do vacation planner but for some reason I said I wanted to do food and beverage in the interview!!! but oh well I am sure it will be all good :)
    I am so excited to meet everyone! xo

17. Wrong thread sorry!

18. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

I have my interview at 7am Thursday. So excited!

19. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Good luck :D!

20. sar_bear

sar_bear New Member

Hey guys, a fellow Aussie here

I just emailed my cv to ST for January 2012 and I got an email back saying to watch the e-presentation (which I've done many times) then fill out an online form. I was then sent a facts sheet.

Do you know how long it takes for them to get back to you?

Congratulations to everyone who is over there or going there now :)