A Place to Ask Questions About Applying . . .

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by GXB977, Sep 7, 2010.

1. GXB977

GXB977 New Member

Hi Guys! My name is Gabbi and I'm going into my second year at The University of Birmingham studying English Language and Literature and I am applying for the Summer Work Experience Program for 2011. I've specified that I would like to try my hand in Attractions and Ride Operating. I have worked at the Disney Store in the past.
    I sent my application off a few weeks ago and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me with them?
    Firstly. I have noticed since sending my application off that it only allowed a certain number of characters for one of the questions, which means that the last few words of one of my responses were cut off. The Yummy Jobs website has allowed me to edit this information on my profile page, but I was wondering whether this would have registered in my application, even though I sent it weeks ago. I have asked Kristen in an email and am awaiting response, but I'm really nervous, as I don't want it to seem that I didn't check my application before sending it. I did. Like a million times. I guess the excitement just got the best of me :) What do you reckon?
    Secondly. My CV was two pages long, and then I had my cover letter as well. It seems that many people actually attached their references into their CV as I have read posts saying that their CV's are four or more pages long? I didn't do this, I just put 'References Available on Request'. Was this wrong?
    Thirdly. I don't think applications for this close until the end of October. I was wondering how soon after applications close do Yummy Jobs contact successful applicants for a telephone interview? Do they get in touch if your application has been unsuccessful? How do they get in touch, by telephone, email or your online application? Do people ever get contacted before the closing date for applications?
    I can't think of any more questions right now, but if anyone else has any please pop them on here, as I'm sure we can all learn from them. Any answers would be useful.
    Take care.
    xGabbix

2. DisneySpike

DisneySpike New Member

1) I honestly think there's nothing to worry about and the fact you emailed her to make the correction means you are passionate enough to keep thinking about it. It's a good thing.
    2) Mine was 3 pages... My Cover Letter then my resume with references available upon request. You should never attach references and if you do just their name number and email type of thing.
    3)Yummy jobs will get back to you pretty soon. I've had my phone interview and have been told I'm getting a face to face alreeady many others have had phone interviews so they'll talk to you soon about it they do it in batches.

3. GXB977

GXB977 New Member

Thanks Disney Spike, that really helped.

So have you applied for the Summer Work Experience 2011? When did you send your application off? When was your phone interview? I'm getting nervous now that I know they may have already started contacting people for the same program as me . . . argh. Please help!
    x

4. DisneySpike

DisneySpike New Member

I applied first day apps were open so Julyish/beginning of august.
    Phone interview was august 4.
    Heard about face to face a few days ago.

5. GXB977

GXB977 New Member

And that was for 'Summer Work Experience'?

Oh God. I haven't been called :-(

6. DisneySpike

DisneySpike New Member

Yes it was for summer work experience and you'll get an email before a call. But it'll take a few weeks.

7. Louiejordan

Louiejordan New Member

DisneySpike your from Canada arnt you?
    GXB977 Canada are being contacted before the UK, so we wont get our replies till after October apparently. :)
    Also great to know another brummy is applying! Im at Birmingham institute of art and design doing animation and im now also working at the Disney store :D

8. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

Hi Gabbi,

So I actually had this discussion with a couple of my friends from this year's program and we'd all actually done slightly different thing with our CVs. Everyone's seemed to be 2-3 pages long although obviously this depends on what you've done in the past and in terms of references some people put available on request and others listed them. Further down the line you are asked for your references directly so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    I believe the timescale is going to be slightly different this year but my phone interview was at the end of October and the face-to-face was a few weeks later in mid-November. This varied though depending on where in the country you were and whether you are at one of the partner institutions.
    Yummy Jobs are really great about answering any questions or queries.
    Don't spend too much time worrying though!